New Book - Spanish Warships in the Age of Sail 1700-1860

From the battle of Lepanto to the mid-19th century.
Byron Angel

New Book - Spanish Warships in the Age of Sail 1700-1860

Post by Byron Angel »

Just received my copy of this book. I have only just started ploughing through it, but it is very arguably the best book of the "Winfield series".

This book is not a Winfield "solo effort". The following co-authors were major contributors:
> John Tredrea - (well known AoS researcher and co-author of "Russian Warships of the Age of Sail";
> Enrique Garcia-Torralba Perez - probably the premier living authority on the Real Armada and period Spanish warship design, author of "Navios de la Real Armada [this volume is entirely in Spanish, but I nevertheless bought it because it was the best available source in any language on the subject.
> Manuel Blasco Felip - the man behind the "3decks" website and I imagine the bilingual intermediary between Winfield/Tredrea and Torralba-Perez.

Layout and ship data presentation follows the well-known Winfield model. But there is better peripheral coverage. For example, there is a section of this book devoted exclusively to the topic of copper hull sheathing in the Real Armada. If only we had similarly good data on coppering for the other navies of this era!

Highest recommendation.

Byron
OpanaPointer

Re: New Book - Spanish Warships in the Age of Sail 1700-1860

Post by OpanaPointer »

Any mention of the Duke of Medina-Sidonia?

:cool:
marcelo_malara

Re: New Book - Spanish Warships in the Age of Sail 1700-1860

Post by marcelo_malara »

Byron Angel wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:37 pm Just received my copy of this book. I have only just started ploughing through it, but it is very arguably the best book of the "Winfield series".

This book is not a Winfield "solo effort". The following co-authors were major contributors:
> John Tredrea - (well known AoS researcher and co-author of "Russian Warships of the Age of Sail";
> Enrique Garcia-Torralba Perez - probably the premier living authority on the Real Armada and period Spanish warship design, author of "Navios de la Real Armada [this volume is entirely in Spanish, but I nevertheless bought it because it was the best available source in any language on the subject.
> Manuel Blasco Felip - the man behind the "3decks" website and I imagine the bilingual intermediary between Winfield/Tredrea and Torralba-Perez.

Layout and ship data presentation follows the well-known Winfield model. But there is better peripheral coverage. For example, there is a section of this book devoted exclusively to the topic of copper hull sheathing in the Real Armada. If only we had similarly good data on coppering for the other navies of this era!

Highest recommendation.

Byron
Thanks for the news Byron. There is a preview in googlebooks:

https://www.google.com.ar/books/edition ... frontcover