Hunt for the Bismarck on The History Channel

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
FW_Allen
Supporter

Hunt for the Bismarck on The History Channel

Post by FW_Allen »

I am positive that most of you have already seen this, but thought I should post something about here just in case...

Dogfights : 10 - Hunt for The Bismarck
Airs on TUESDAY, January 30 10:00 PM (Eastern)

May, 1941, the German battleship Bismarck, the most powerful warship on earth breaks, out into the North Atlantic. It wields enough firepower to crush vital British convoys! The British unleash every weapon in their arsenal to hunt down this Nazi terror. Join the greatest sea chase in history... fly with Swordfish torpedo-bomber pilots desperately trying to the Bismarck. Rare archival footage and original shooting will supplement the remarkable computer graphics and make viewers will feel like they're in the battle, facing the enemy. First-hand accounts will drive the story.

Here are a couple of screen grabs from the episode. We have a few more on the Hood site's forum if anyone is interested.

Frank
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Any comments from anyone who has already seen this show?
RF

Post by RF »

I haven't seen this programme and I was wondering if this is the same as the 30 minute documentary recently shown on UKTV Freeview Channel 12.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
FW_Allen
Supporter

My Thoughts

Post by FW_Allen »

Hello Everyone,

In answer to RF's question- This is a completely new programme. Its almost certainly not the one you mentioned. Not sure when it is expected to be aired outside North America.

Now for my thoughts on the episode:
Overall, I liked it. I wasn't entirely happy with every single aspect of it, but when viewed without being nitpicky or critical, it was certainly entertaining. Perhaps not 100% historically accurate, but a decent overview for the average chap. It should help attract new people to the genre and help generate additional interest in our websites. Thats definitely a good thing.

Just as I had anticipated, much of the Bismarck story had to be simplified. Some things were also skipped entirely. Its completely understandable- they only have so much money and so much time to work with. These confines meant that there was no way to show every single thing that happened.

One such thing that WAS in the show, but was definitely simplified, was the sinking of Hood. In reality, it was much more intense (more fire, more smoke, more debris). The sinking bow did not really stick up as far out of the water as shown...there wasn't enough of the ship under the water to permit it. The real ship twisted about 180 degrees as it sank too. There was just no way to animate all this within the production limitations of the show, so they had to stick with basic shots. Perfectly understandable.

Nevertheless, there were some cock-ups though. Things they should have gotten right...things that I and others specifically went out of our way to warn them about before the show started animating/filming: Carl Lindemann, Baltic stripes/swastikas, and of course, ensuring guns and directors point at the enemy all come to mind. I seem to recall specifically discussing these very things with their staff months ago...

Errors, however serious, aside, it was still very entertaining. I hope they do more of this type of episode. Particularly if there is a way to include an air element as well (because they are top notch at animating aircraft).

Frank
pdfox99

Post by pdfox99 »

It will be aired again a couple more times for those who may have missed the first show.

http://www.history.com/shows.do?action= ... eId=205751

I agree, alot was cut out to make the 60 minute time frame.
Paul D. Fox
Ramius

Post by Ramius »

I saw the show and it was VERY good, the graphics were not bad, and the story was not screwed up :clap: The only thing that looked cheesy was that in the final moments of Bismarck there appears to be an ENORMOUS chunk of Bismarck missing out of the starboard side by the funnel :think: But yet again i give the show an eight out of ten :clap: :clap:
Ramius

Post by Ramius »

For your cmment earlier hoping that they will have more of these type of shows, there is one more naval one that I know of. The other is of Yamato and the cruiser force against the destroyers of Taffy, what is it Taffy6 or something?

The show wasnt bad, but they dramatized the sinking of the one destroyer a little too much. I think it was the Roberts or something like that. The graphics are again very good, especially on the Japanese ships.