The best PC game

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
Djoser

Re: The best PC game

Post by Djoser »

Well I suspect we might see something with the Bismarck from Storm Eagle Studios, maybe in the next year or two. Hopefully sooner than later. Since they started with the Russo-Japanese naval war and just released Jutland, it's the obvious next step. The graphics and effects are really outstanding in these games, I can only imagine the next improvements surely to come with a Bismarck game. But apparently the ballistics, armor thickness and quality , shell quality, etc., are all very accurate in these as well.

For board games, try the Avalanche Press Second World War at Sea series. There are quite a few games covering almost every aspect of conflict in the various naval theatres. The surface combat tactical resolution system is a bit dice heavy, but nowhere near as bad as the (otherwise excellent) Avalon Hill War at Sea and Victory in the Pacific games, which never intended to go into the detail and realism of the Avalon Hill Bismark game.

They (Avalanche) started the system with The Great War at Sea series, and went on to cover an amazing variety of hypothetical battleship conflicts in the 20s and 30s, with all the planned behemoths canceled by the Washington Treaty. But of course the 2nd World War series includes the air forces!

The graphics are outstanding, the next generation--a real departure from the old Avalon Hill era games (again, not to knock them, I love so many of their games!). Just looking at the counters in the damned box is a pleasure.

There are quite a few other board games on battleship conflict, and I have many of them. If any of you are interested I can describe more of them.