Waterloo movie

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
Byron Angel

Re: Waterloo movie

Post by Byron Angel »

RF wrote:I think this was Sheen being Sheen rather than the person he was supposed to portray......

..... As much as I disliked Sheen's performance, I can't for the life of me think of who SHOULD have played the role of Lee.
Giving props where due, I thought Sam Elliot gave a good performance in his portrayal of Buford.

On a related note, if I were going to cast the role of Napoleon today, I would definitely consider David Suchet.

Byron
RF

Post by RF »

Unfortunately David Suchet is too typecast.... as Hercule Poirot. He would never have lost the battle of Waterloo!

As for the role of Lee - how about a budding new actor, as a career break and with no established stereotype?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

RF wrote:Unfortunately David Suchet is too typecast.... as Hercule Poirot. He would never have lost the battle of Waterloo!

As for the role of Lee - how about a budding new actor, as a career break and with no established stereotype?

Ahhh, zee leetle grey cells! I take your point. Has Suchet done any other roles of note? I'm unfamiliar with his acting CV.

I've racked my brain trying to think of an American actor who could do justice to the role of Lee and failed miserably. We have plenty of "film stars" in the US, most of whom are highly typecast as either comics or action heroes, but we seem to have precious few real dramatic "actors" IMHO. I guess that's why I gravitate to British and foreign films.

Byron
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Actually, Martin Sheen works mostly on stage. He does a few movies.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Do you know that Martin Sheen had a stroke when filming Apocalypse Now?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill