2011: Jutland movie!

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
Karl Heidenreich

Re: 2011: Jutland movie!

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

I think the project is scrapped. I looked into the IMDB and has been without any update for the last year. It is scheduled for 2011 but there is not even a cast. Nope: we lost it I think, a shame. If the action do not have african americans in it and the Germans do not lost outright then you will find very hard to finance it. See why stupid movies as Inglorious Bastards, Pearl Harbor or U 571 can have all the money in the world: Hollywood is more than rotten nowadays... as it is Washington DC too...
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

Jutland and its outcome offers little to a film industry that focuses on the sensational or the politically correct, unless of course it is done as a work of fiction.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

There was a UK silent film about Jutland made in the 1921:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264398/
Karl Heidenreich

No DVD available. :(
Sir Winston Churchill
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:
Not much scope however for women in a new Jutland movie....
Wrong! If the movie is a Hollywood film every gender and race will be represented, at least in the British Fleet, to depict a democratic force against the evil German (and saxon) Empire. Jellicoe will be Morgan Freeman whilst Beatty could be given to Brad Pitt. Maybe Evan Thomas could be of Hindu descent or gay that want to marry another guy and adopt a Sudanese handicaped toddler. Of course the G2 personnel (spy) will be a woman like Kate Beckinsdale or a treachearous Diane Kruger that grabs the German written battle plan from Berlin itself and runs to a hidden submarine in the middle of Wilhelmshaven to give it to Jellicoe-Freeman. Queen Latifah or Oprah herself will be a special and secret envoy from President Wilson and will give lectures to a young Winston Churchill interpreted by Ewan McGregor. At the end of the movie, while the allies celebrate the victory (including the french for the outstanding help they provided in the incarnation of Jean Reno as some Admiral resembling Jean Lafitte) we will see, then, a demoralized German crowd reading the newspapers. One guy throws away his copy of the newspaper saying to his soldier pals: "One day I will build a fleet that will humilliate the British" One of his friends answers: "Come on Adolf, our wise Emperor knows best, let´s go to the beerhall and drink some beers and then you can draw a potrait of the owner´s dog..."

Give me break!
:lol:

How did I miss this?! Very funny!
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

The_Ships_Cat wrote:What would you think if there was a film about the World Trade Centre and instead of it collapsing like it did it moves a little from side to side then falls on a building crushing a cowardly policeman or indeed the Fire Brigade are stuffed shirts who instead of risking life and limb shoot themselves rather than help.
Just because the sinking happened years ago doesn't mean to say you can play fast and loose with actual events, no matter how big the budget or your ego.
Well put...
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Djoser wrote:
Karl Heidenreich wrote:
Not much scope however for women in a new Jutland movie....
Wrong! If the movie is a Hollywood film every gender and race will be represented, at least in the British Fleet, to depict a democratic force against the evil German (and saxon) Empire. Jellicoe will be Morgan Freeman whilst Beatty could be given to Brad Pitt. Maybe Evan Thomas could be of Hindu descent or gay that want to marry another guy and adopt a Sudanese handicaped toddler. Of course the G2 personnel (spy) will be a woman like Kate Beckinsdale or a treachearous Diane Kruger that grabs the German written battle plan from Berlin itself and runs to a hidden submarine in the middle of Wilhelmshaven to give it to Jellicoe-Freeman. Queen Latifah or Oprah herself will be a special and secret envoy from President Wilson and will give lectures to a young Winston Churchill interpreted by Ewan McGregor. At the end of the movie, while the allies celebrate the victory (including the french for the outstanding help they provided in the incarnation of Jean Reno as some Admiral resembling Jean Lafitte) we will see, then, a demoralized German crowd reading the newspapers. One guy throws away his copy of the newspaper saying to his soldier pals: "One day I will build a fleet that will humilliate the British" One of his friends answers: "Come on Adolf, our wise Emperor knows best, let´s go to the beerhall and drink some beers and then you can draw a potrait of the owner´s dog..."

Give me break!
:lol:

How did I miss this?! Very funny!

Absolutely agree!

Karl - you have produced an absolute howler and you are spot on about the American film industry (although in the US, the film you describe would probably be classified as a documentary).

B
Karl Heidenreich

Well, we ask for it, then we will have to endure it.

After George Lucas made a mess with the Star Wars trilogy making it in the greatest flawed double trilogy on Earth he will give us his "Pearl Harbor" plus "U-571" inspired in "true events":

Red Tails

The story of the Tuskegee Airmen. Absolutely political correct in our political correct times. How the Tuskagee Airmen shoot down the entire Luftwaffe alone including the Me-262.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485985/

Real spooky.

For the record: the 332 Fighter Group shot down in total 150 German planes. Hartman alone shot down double than that.

Causalties: 150 Tuskegee airmen lost their lives.

Kill Ratio: 1 : 1

But Lucas will tell us the whole Hollywood truth. Damn!
Sir Winston Churchill
lwd

Post by lwd »

Hartman alone shot down double than that.
Possibly but not very relevant is it? The following is considerably more misleading
Causalties: 150 Tuskegee airmen lost their lives.

Kill Ratio: 1 : 1
!
If we look at the wiki page above it states:
In all, 996 pilots were trained in Tuskegee from 1941 to 1946, approximately 445 were deployed overseas, and 150 Airmen lost their lives in accidents or combat.[45] The blood cost included sixty-six pilots killed in action or accidents,
So the 150 includes all deaths by accident or combat of the 996 pilots and from what I can tell ground crew, indeed some of the pages are worded such that it may include other fatalities as well. Of those that made it overseas the losses were 66 and that includes accidents as well as combat. It's also worth noteing how they were equiped.
The Tuskegee Airmen initially were equipped with Curtiss P-40 Warhawks fighter-bomber aircraft, briefly with Bell P-39 Airacobras (March 1944), later with Republic P-47 Thunderbolts (June–July 1944), and finally the fighter group acquired the aircraft with which they became most commonly associated, the North American P-51 Mustang (July 1944).
That's 4 different types of fighters in 6 months.
Karl Heidenreich

Lee:

I know that you care less for the Tuskegee airmen than for a dead dog. It's all argument ignition for you, You wanted me to answer, in a correct historical perspective, how the Germans were better than a bunch of enlisted men and so you will use your rethorical tricks (define this... that's not what I understand as this and that.... and basically all that horse dung) for a never ending discussion that will made Jose and the other forum members to want to puke.

The fact is that there were at least thirty five Germans aces that shot down the same or more planes that a whole squadron of Tuskegee airmen put together (being Gollob the one with a 150 kills). But the US won the war, OK, they can do all the victorious movies they want to disperse the bitter waters of Corea, Vietnam, Irak and Afganistan. We have seen how the TV series like Combat that lasted more than the real strategic diversion in western europe, we have seen McHale destroying one jap sub per episode in the middle of laughter, we have seen the awfull lie of U-571 and Inglorious Bastards to be praised as "art" and we have seen Pearl Harbor as a prelude of it's director to Transformers.

To be honest the US deserves a movie like Red Tails, the US deserves more misleading examples on how that war was not won. Those guys were propaganda on equality in the armed forces in a time of segregation, a time in which a German prisioners could get out of it's camp in Alabama or Texas and go to the cinema and sit where a Tuskegee airmen with 5 kills (tops of the whole squadron) cannot sit becuase of the color of it's skin. So there is the movie. That will please the current occupant of the White House and Jesse Jackson. You see it, you enjoy it: despite what the democrats are trying to do with it is still a free country, but not a country for old men.
Sir Winston Churchill
lwd

Post by lwd »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:Lee:
I know that you care less for the Tuskegee airmen than for a dead dog.
That is both inaccurate and uncalled for.
It's all argument ignition for you,
No. It's you posting in accurate numbers, then making flawed comparisons, and drawing unwarrented conclusions from the results.
You wanted me to answer, in a correct historical perspective, how the Germans were better than a bunch of enlisted men
This is not even a rational statement. Here's clue: The Germans had enlisted men also and indeed their military wouldn't have been any where near as good as it was if it wasn't based on a solid foundation of good inlisted men. Furthermore the Tuskegee airmen were not all enlisted men.
and so you will use your rethorical tricks
I don't find requesting well documented facts or well defined terms a "trick". If you say "orange" and mean "red" while I think you mean "yellow" communicating becomes a bit problematic.
The fact is that there were at least thirty five Germans aces that shot down the same or more planes that a whole squadron of Tuskegee airmen put together (being Gollob the one with a 150 kills).
That may well be the case although it may also be rather questionable in any case it was irrelevant to the topic at hand. No one has questioned that the German aces racked up impressive scores. What is a question is why this is relevant here? You seem to try to inject this sort of thing into almost every discussion recently as if it is of some huge import.
But the US won the war, OK, they can do all the victorious movies they want to disperse the bitter waters of Corea, Vietnam, Irak and Afganistan. We have seen how the TV series like Combat that lasted more than the real strategic diversion in western europe, we have seen McHale destroying one jap sub per episode in the middle of laughter, we have seen the awfull lie of U-571 and Inglorious Bastards to be praised as "art" and we have seen Pearl Harbor as a prelude of it's director to Transformers.
No one has questioned the fact that Hollywood has made some very bad movies. They aren't alone in that though are they? And they've also made some pretty good ones. When you produce such onesided rants complete with bad numbers and bad logic be prepaired to be called on it.
To be honest the US deserves a movie like Red Tails, the US deserves more misleading examples on how that war was not won.
You've seen the movie then? I thought it wasn't out yet.
Those guys were propaganda on equality in the armed forces in a time of segregation, a time in which a German prisioners could get out of it's camp in Alabama or Texas and go to the cinema and sit where a Tuskegee airmen with 5 kills (tops of the whole squadron) cannot sit becuase of the color of it's skin. So there is the movie. That will please the current occupant of the White House and Jesse Jackson. You see it, you enjoy it: despite what the democrats are trying to do with it is still a free country, but not a country for old men.
You accuse me of not caring for them and then you use them to get your little political digs in ... way to go Karl. :(
Karl Heidenreich

:whistle:
Sir Winston Churchill
Karl Heidenreich

Red Tails: unnacurate just not to create polemic.
Sir Winston Churchill