2011: Jutland movie!

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
lwd

Re: 2011: Jutland movie!

Post by lwd »

Ouch! Was that deliberate? :)
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

Ouch! Was that deliberate?
In Germany, Beatty had ruined his reputation when he told the crews of his ships that were receiving the German High Seas Fleet for its internment at Scapa Flow, "Don't forget that the enemy is a despicable beast," and arranged the surrender of the German Fleet as a grand spectacle of humiliation.

The Germans had sent a high ranking delegation of admirals and senior officers to Jellicoe's funeral, and on the day Jellicoe was laid to rest, the ensigns of all German naval vessels at home and abroad, by order of Raeder, were lowered to half mast. In contrast, a British request for a similar delegation for Beatty was refused and only the German naval attache attended.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
lwd

Post by lwd »

When I asked if it were deliberate I was talking about the pun involded in using the words "watered down" below.
RF wrote:Interesting indeed, but if such a film were to be made in Britain it would be watered down politically.
RF

Post by RF »

I think that was understanable given Raeder's role at the Battle of Jutland.

But it didn't count for anything when Raeder was on trial at Nurembourg.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

lwd wrote:When I asked if it were deliberate I was talking about the pun involded in using the words "watered down" below.
RF wrote:Interesting indeed, but if such a film were to be made in Britain it would be watered down politically.
Actually when I wrote that no pun was intended as I did stress ''politically.''
The_Ships_Cat

Post by The_Ships_Cat »

Kyler wrote:Also I hope to god they make James Cameron a producer for this movie cause he is probably the only guy who really pull this movie off, especially if they plan on producing full size replicas for production.
Oh puurlease no. If it's Cameron we'll for sure have the Brits as stiff upper class villains and equally rediculous Germans.
Peter Weir is the only one apart from Ridley Scott who can do this.
Kyler have you actually sat through all of the yawnfest Titanic? Q.E.D
"We stand tall on the quarterdeck, son.
All of us."
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

The_Ships_Cat wrote:
Kyler wrote:Also I hope to god they make James Cameron a producer for this movie cause he is probably the only guy who really pull this movie off, especially if they plan on producing full size replicas for production.
Oh puurlease no. If it's Cameron we'll for sure have the Brits as stiff upper class villains and equally rediculous Germans.
Peter Weir is the only one apart from Ridley Scott who can do this.
Kyler have you actually sat through all of the yawnfest Titanic? Q.E.D
I loved Titanic. So did my wife. It's one of our favorite movies.

Edit: I don't care for some of Cameron's theories and statements.
hammy

Post by hammy »

Arnold Schwartzenegger as Admiral Franz von Hipper . Sher as his Gnadige Frau . Oh Dear God , ..................
" Relax ! No-one else is going to be fool enough to be sailing about in this fog ."
The_Ships_Cat

Post by The_Ships_Cat »

If anyone must watch a Titanic film...A Night To Remember is the only version worth considering.
I'm not too keen on the Cpt Lord side of it but it was going on known theories of the time.
I just hate the way Cameron falls on stupid gimmicks and stereotypes and worst of all the major characters in the film were just cyphers or cameos.
Rose was just totally out of class, she wouldn't have been seen dead in Steerage it would have been against all her breeding.
It was also known even during the time that no doors or gates were locked. The Steerage passengers coud have walked through the ship but they didn't because of the class system. They were told to stay put until called for and that is just what they did behaving again in their alloted social system. Another besides is that plenty of steerage women and children were seen on the deck before the boats had all been lowered.
Blue flashing lights again? Titanic's lights wouldn't and couldn't arc like that, according to eyewitnesses they faded a little or dimmed, same thing really then came back on and went out. Or other accounts they were bright went out came on and finally went out. Yet Cameron had arcing way before that which eyewitnesses don't mention. For someone who reckons he studied the Titanic Cameron doesn't have done much on the actual authenticity no, just spent countless hours diving on her and from what I have read breaking bits off in the process.

That film just makes my blood boil. Just read a few of the umpteen decent books on the subject then laugh the next time Titanic is on.
One last question for those Titanic fans: It is based on Historical events, yet is pushed as a love story, so he thinks he can get away with not being that accurate. What would you think if there was a film about the World Trade Centre and instead of it collapsing like it did it moves a little from side to side then falls on a building crushing a cowardly policeman or indeed the Fire Brigade are stuffed shirts who instead of risking life and limb shoot themselves rather than help.
Just because the sinking happened years ago doesn't mean to say you can play fast and loose with actual events, no matter how big the budget or your ego.

As for Cameron breaking the mould for female characters...they are just blokes with breasts. Connor/Vasquez are identical.
Princess Leia was actually one of the first female characters to break the stereotype. You are also forgetting Ripley was Ridlet Scott's character not Cameron.

the best thing that can happen with Jutland is that it stays a European film. How about a British/German collaborated film very much like the Iwo Jima films by Clint Eastwood. Where we actually have two films from both points of view. Everone has sat (moreso at home granted0 through long films like the LOTR extended films so why can't that be the way of all films...longer and more detailed.
"We stand tall on the quarterdeck, son.
All of us."
hammy

Post by hammy »

The difficulty is going to be that , cinematically , Grey warships , in a grey mist , on a grey sea , vomiting grey funnel smoke everywhere is going to be a bit Non-gripping as a spectacle .
And if portrayed correctly in detail , very confusing for the non-buff , ....... unless we fall back on that good old standby of showing Jellicoe showing a chart covered with little wooden model ships to the attractive American War Correspondent he has invited along for the trip . She will be dressed in flaming red of course with a stunning decollotage extending to the navel . ( Well , the film is about a "Navel" battle , right ? ..... Sorry ! )

I mean YES three battlecruisers and the armoured cruisers meeting their ends is going to be excuse enough for the S F guys to get the petrol soaked felt blevvying into action ( yet again ) , but in general it's all going to be -- well , a bit .. grey , hmm ?

Which brings you back to the human interest / love theme bits , where I grant you , the splendidly amoral cavortings of David Beatty , complete with excellence in cap wearing , are made for the job and require no invention or re-writing of history ( "Something wrong with this bloody condom today , Mavis ! " )

I thought the Clint Eastwood Iwo Jima films were pretty good , but the "American" one had too many simple standard hollywood good guy / bad guy characters in it , and the "Japanese" one had too many people who were straight out of a Kung Fu movie -- none of the subtle shadings of character you got with "Apocalypse Now" or "The Yakuza".

You could make "Jutland" as a documentary style film like "The Longest Day" or "A Bridge Too Far" , but I have a terrible fear someone is going to make one like "Memphis Belle" or "Pearl Harbour" , complete with all the yucky bits .
Bruce Willis as Kaiser Wilhelm . Penelope Cruz as Queen Mary . Robert Duvall as kindly , wise old President Wilson , whose irrelevant role takes up 40% of the running time of the film , just because its less boring than looking at the North Sea .
" Relax ! No-one else is going to be fool enough to be sailing about in this fog ."
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

I'd cast Sean Bean as Beatty, and the Postlethwaite fellow as Jellicoe.

Byron
hammy

Post by hammy »

Such a pity Antony Quinn is no longer with us - Sir Robert Arbuthnot ?

And surely Brian Blessed would be Beatty ?
RF

Post by RF »

hammy wrote:Arnold Schwartzenegger as Admiral Franz von Hipper . Sher as his Gnadige Frau . Oh Dear God , ..................
What???
hammy

Post by hammy »

G . F . = " Dear Lady Wife "
Pre-Dreadnought

Post by Pre-Dreadnought »

Does anyone know at what stage this film is at? I've seen nothing substantial and even IMDB is vague. I agree it would be a highly interesting topic, regardless of the angle, but I don't know if this is production at all. Does anyone have anything to add?
Attachments
Z9026.jpg
Z9026.jpg (46.78 KiB) Viewed 11962 times