What New/Remake War Movies Are Needed?

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
RF

Re: What New/Remake War Movies Are Needed?

Post by RF »

Yes, but let them be accurate depictions, not something living in fantasy.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
jsk1969

Post by jsk1969 »

Battle of the Bulge
Mid-way [ with realistic CGI battle`s!]
Tora!Tora!Tora!
the Dirty Dozen [Who would you cast?]
a Film about Okinawa
a Film about Wake Island [Incredible story !]
Battle of Britain
Where Eagle`s Dare
the Great Escape
Bridge at Remagen
the True story of the Bridge on River Kwai
a film about the Bataan Death March
PT-109
Sgt. York
All`s Quiet on the Western Front
any true battle`s of WW1
a film about the Tet Offensive
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

"Full Metal Jacket"
19kilo

Post by 19kilo »

Would LOVE for Clint Eastwood to do "Tora Tora Tora" in 2 parts. From each sides point of view. Or "Midway".
jsk1969

Post by jsk1969 »

dunmunro wrote:
"Full Metal Jacket"
I mean the true story or something close to it, I had 2 brothers there and that`s not it. One of my all-time fav`s though, R.Lee Ermey should have got an Osacar nod.
jsk1969

Post by jsk1969 »

19kilo wrote:Would LOVE for Clint Eastwood to do "Tora Tora Tora" in 2 parts. From each sides point of view. Or "Midway".
I alway`s thought Eastwood could play a great General Patton, but he`s too old now I think. Plus George C. Scott pretty much nailed that role.
RF

Post by RF »

jsk1969 wrote:
I alway`s thought Eastwood could play a great General Patton, but he`s too old now I think. Plus George C. Scott pretty much nailed that role.
I can't really imagine Patton saying ''Go on make my day'' can you?

Does Eastwood have the right personality to play Old Blood and Guts?
Gary

Post by Gary »

Clint Eastwood was best as a maverick 1970's San Francisco detective (Dirty Harry) for me anyway
I couldnt imagine him playing Patton - He's too old now.

Perhaps a movie about HK Atlantis would be good but christ knows what Hollywood would put in it to "spice" it up? :stubborn:
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
RF

Post by RF »

Holleywood would be more likely to go for the Stephen Hopkins taking on Stier....... with the obvious heroic role against the ''useless Germams.''
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

RF wrote:Holleywood would be more likely to go for the Stephen Hopkins taking on Stier....... with the obvious heroic role against the ''useless Germams.''
I take it you didn't approve of "Band of Brothers" or "Pacific".
RF

Post by RF »

Actually I do approve of ''Band of Brothers'' while 'Pacific'' I haven't seen so I won't comment on it. I also approve of ''Saving Private Ryan.''

What I don't approve of are films made in the US where German seamen are portrayed as nazi lunatics who commit war crimes such as machine gunning lifeboats and survivors in the water just to spice the film up into some armageddon of good versus evil. Particulary where the film claims to be based on true events (where no war crimes were commited).
There was only one proven case of a U-boat deliberately murdering survivors with machine gun fire. That was the Peleus case, where the U-boat commander and the gunner were tried and convicted of war crimes.
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

What I don't approve of are films made in the US where German seamen are portrayed as nazi lunatics who commit war crimes such as machine gunning lifeboats and survivors in the water just to spice the film up into some armageddon of good versus evil.
RF

Could not agree with you more! I sojmetimes think if it weren't for nazi's Hoollywood would not have any villians in there movies (unless its the US _____ - fill in the blank).
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
Gary

Post by Gary »

Now I've had time to think, perhaps the story of SMS Wolf could be made into a film.
There were one or two little escapades involving a lady aboard (she was taken prisoner after her ship was sunk) which should be juicy enough for hollywood to make them even juicer :wink: :wink: :wink: in true movie fashion
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I just saw Pacific because it just appeared on DVD here in the states. It's somewhat similar and it is also based on a book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_the_Old_Breed

The book does a better job of detailing what they went through and doesn't have the romantic interludes the movie has. I don't think very many people would want to watch the movie if it went right down the line following the book. It was just too horrible. All in all though, it's worth seeing.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Perhaps Hollywood could sell a film about Admiral Von Spee and his armoured cruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau
The movie could start with the bombardment of Papeete then the battle of Coronel culminating in the British finally getting revenge at the Falklands?
The film would need to be like Saving private Ryan - by that I mean 100% realistic in showing the true horror of war as thats the best way to sell such a movie to the general public!