What New/Remake War Movies Are Needed?

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
lwd

Re: What New/Remake War Movies Are Needed?

Post by lwd »

I'd like to see historically well done movies on several of the ancient battles/campaigns. In particular: The Retreat of the 10,000, Salamis, Marathon, Thermopoly (might be hard with the comic book version out), Philip of Macedons life and campaigns as well as those of his son, Hanibul's campaigns, etc. Some would best be done as either mini series or multiple movies. Lepanto would also be nice. Many more ...
RF

Post by RF »

Gary wrote:Now I've had time to think, perhaps the story of SMS Wolf could be made into a film.
There were one or two little escapades involving a lady aboard (she was taken prisoner after her ship was sunk) which should be juicy enough for hollywood to make them even juicer :wink: :wink: :wink: in true movie fashion
The HK Atlantis of course was the subject (loosely) of a film starring Van Heflin.

SMS Wolf was also the subject of an article in Readers Digest in 1932, where an account of the experiences of a seaman from the Wairuna were detailed as a prisoner on board Wolf. In fact it was that article that originally aroused my interest in German hilfskreuzer.

I think the hilfskreuzer most suited to a film has to be Kormoran, for the battle with Sydney. This is already a controversial topic and it would have to be handled senstitively.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

Thinking of hilfskreuzer I wonder how Hollywood would handle a film on the CSS Alabama.......
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

Thinking of hilfskreuzer I wonder how Hollywood would handle a film on the CSS Alabama.......
Good choice, RF!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

A movie on CSS Alabama would be political incorrect. If done by a Hollywood the confederate crew will be portrayed as evil nazis or such when, very likely, it was the other way around.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
lwd

Post by lwd »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:A movie on CSS Alabama would be political incorrect. If done by a Hollywood the confederate crew will be portrayed as evil nazis or such when, very likely, it was the other way around.
That hardly seems supportable based on recent movies. Indeed the Gettysburg film had a quite balanced representation of both sides and it was sponsered by Turner. As for the Alabama I don't see any reason they should be protrayed in such a maner. Although it's worth noteing that very few Southerners were actually on board her.
Karl Heidenreich

Lee:
That hardly seems supportable based on recent movies. Indeed the Gettysburg film had a quite balanced representation of both sides and it was sponsered by Turner. As for the Alabama I don't see any reason they should be protrayed in such a maner. Although it's worth noteing that very few Southerners were actually on board her.
Gettysburg was shot in 1993, some seventeen years ago, by Ted Turner (who himself potrayed southener Colonel Patton in it and in "Gods and Generals", the prequel). That movie is older than my eldest son and by now many movements have appeared since then in order to "satanize" the South. I read, not that long ago, about a group trying to eliminate the Confederate flags in the South, to stop any praise of the southern soldiers and officers, etc. etc. And let's remember who calls himself President of the US, so things have changed a lot since 1993 up to today.

Anyway Hollywood is hardly an example of how certain combatants need to be portrayed. As a matter of fact "old" movies as Enemy Below are by far more objective than "actual" ones as U 571 or Tarantino's garbage "Unglorious Bastards".

Regards,
Sir Winston Churchill
lwd

Post by lwd »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:Lee:
Gettysburg was shot in 1993, some seventeen years ago, by Ted Turner (who himself potrayed southener Colonel Patton in it and in "Gods and Generals", the prequel).
That's the most recent major ACW film I can think of and Turner is way to the left. Since he was willing to play it strait I don't see a huge incentive for others not to.
That movie is older than my eldest son and
not sure of what import that is.
by now many movements have appeared since then in order to "satanize" the South.
Actually there are probably more pro movements that have appeared recently than anti's. Most of the anti's date back to the 60's and 70's.
I read, not that long ago, about a group trying to eliminate the Confederate flags in the South,
Again those date back well into the 60s (perhaphs even the 1860s).
[/quote] And let's remember who calls himself President of the US, so things have changed a lot since 1993 up to today.
Not sure again what relevance that has.
Anyway Hollywood is hardly an example of how certain combatants need to be portrayed. As a matter of fact "old" movies as Enemy Below are by far more objective than "actual" ones as U 571 or Tarantino's garbage "Unglorious Bastards"....
On the other hand Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our Fathers both recived a lot of praise from people I respect and while I haven't seen the latter I have seen the former and thought it was very good. Hollywood has always been capable of making both incredibly good movies and incredibly bad ones (not to mention incredibly mediocre ones). I frankly don't see that things have changed a great deal.
RF

Post by RF »

lwd wrote:
Hollywood has always been capable of making both incredibly good movies and incredibly bad ones (not to mention incredibly mediocre ones). I frankly don't see that things have changed a great deal.
I would agree with that verdict.
Karl Heidenreich

By the way... Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima are not Hollywood, per se. Clint Eastwood is an independent filmaker sponsored, yes, by Warner Brothers. But there are no "big studio" decisions in his movies. They loan him the money and collect their share at the end. A movie like Pearl Harbor, U 571 or Unglorious Bastards are of a different kind, they came from the studio head all the way down, those are Hollywood all the way.

I'm still esceptic on any historical oriented movie from Hollywood. If you see the "good ones" like A Bridge So Far, Battle of Britain, etc. it's always British movie or a movie full of british. That is not to say that there are not "bad british movies" which I do not recall one now. But basically that's it.
Sir Winston Churchill
lwd

Post by lwd »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:By the way... Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima are not Hollywood, per se. Clint Eastwood is an independent filmaker sponsored, yes, by Warner Brothers. But there are no "big studio" decisions in his movies. ....
I doubt many would agree with you on this. We've also seen some pretty bad historicals from the sources you listed. Part of what is happening now is there are a lot more places where you can shoot films ecomomically than in Hollywood so the independents are moving away. The independents have always had a greater spread quality wise than the big names.
Karl Heidenreich

A Bridge So Far was filmed in the mid 70ies.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

Karl Heidenreich wrote: If you see the "good ones" like A Bridge So Far, Battle of Britain, etc. it's always British movie or a movie full of british. That is not to say that there are not "bad british movies" which I do not recall one now. But basically that's it.
These were events which involved the British rather than the Americans. After all in the Battle of Britain the United States wasn't even in the war......
Karl Heidenreich

RF:

After all in the Battle of Britain the United States wasn't even in the war......
Wrong! According to movies like Pearl Harbor the war started on December 7th and was won by Doolitle. As a matter of fact Hollywood movies stress the point that the war never involved the russians and that the brits "gave a hand", but, very interesting, is that they gave a lot of praise for the french, even when they were defeated at the outbreak in a record time and, when Ike invaded Normandy, give him a heluva of problems only to tell everybody that they "liberate" Paris. (If it was for the French their women will still only know winners that call on them as "lieben fraulein').
Sir Winston Churchill
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:RF:

After all in the Battle of Britain the United States wasn't even in the war......
Wrong! According to movies like Pearl Harbor the war started on December 7th and was won by Doolitle. As a matter of fact Hollywood movies stress the point that the war never involved the russians and that the brits "gave a hand", but, very interesting, is that they gave a lot of praise for the french, even when they were defeated at the outbreak in a record time and, when Ike invaded Normandy, give him a heluva of problems only to tell everybody that they "liberate" Paris. (If it was for the French their women will still only know winners that call on them as "lieben fraulein').
Yes, and I'm sure Russian movies feature the western allies in a big way, and British movies emphasize US participation. It's only Hollywood which targets their native population for emphasis.