80 minutes film about soviet massacres

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
alecsandros

80 minutes film about soviet massacres

Post by alecsandros »

Hello,

Just viewed this

http://www.jurnaltv.ro/video/The_Soviet ... incredibil

The movie has it's flaws, but it's still interesting to watch.

It covers:
- the common ideological ground for nazism and communism
- the first soviet massacres (1917-1918)
- development of gulags
- further soviet crimes (political executions, Ucrainean famine 1932-1933)
- colaboration between NKVD and Gestapo 1938-1940, and jew deportations from the USSR to Germany
- some post-war use of Eastern Europe death-camps for KGB tortures/vivisection experiments.

The content is sometimes difficult to watch, due to its vivid imagery (sadistic executions, un-earthing of corpses, etc).

The message is "Europe should not forget".
My suggestion : don't take it all in...

All the best,
Alex
RF

Re: 80 minutes film about soviet massacres

Post by RF »

It is fortunate that the commonality in method was not followed by genuine re-aproachment in ideology, and the USSR not joining Germany and Japan in a genuine tripartite pact. It could have happened......
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

RF wrote:It is fortunate that the commonality in method was not followed by genuine re-aproachment in ideology, and the USSR not joining Germany and Japan in a genuine tripartite pact. It could have happened......
:clap:
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

I normally don't like to comment on things like Soviet war crimes because of the controversy that surrounds it, but we also have to recognize that there is an anti-Soviet agenda that has existed for decades and has received lots of funding, precisely to falsify and/or exaggerate Soviet crimes. This is not to defend Stalin, or to imply that the Soviet regime was faultless in any way.

Remember the stories about "yellow rain" and chemical weapon use by Soviet forces in Afghanistan? They were complete lies yet they received wide circulation in the Western Media. Similarly, Saddam was supposed to have huge stores of WMDs...you have take these kinds of claims with a grain of salt, when there are powerful lobbies that stand to gain by convincing people of crimes that may not have occurred. The famine in Ukraine is a case in point. This accusation directly benefits the anti-Yanukovich side in Ukrainian politics yet the degree to which the Soviet state directed famine against the Ukraine, rather than as famine which effected the entire USSR, due to many factors, is still hotly debated within academic circles, even in the Ukraine. The famine is supposed to have resulted in the deaths of several millions of Ukrainians, and is held up as one of the horrors of the Soviet system. Yet after the USSR collapsed, the Life Expectancy in the Ukraine plunged from about 65 to 55 within a couple of years, and this means that millions died in the Ukraine as a result of the collapse of communism, yet these deaths are not widely reported, nor held up in the media as resulting from the horrors of capitalism.

The Red side did commit atrocities during the Russian civil war, but then so so did the whites, possibly to a larger degree.

This film:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_%28film%29
seems to me to represent a very balanced view of the Katyn massacre and I made a special effort to see it. There was collaboration between the NKVD and Gestapo prior to June 1941, but the extent has been greatly exaggerated. The death rate for Jews on the Soviet side of Poland was much lower than on the German side and the Soviet occupation saved far more Jews than it harmed.

I have read widely about prison conditions in East Europe, while completing (and after) my degree in History at SFU, and have not seen anything that would support claims of medical experimentation and vivisection on prisoners.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

If anyone wants a realistic assessment of the Ukrainian famine holocaust, I highly recommend "Harvest of Sorrow" by Robert Conquest - a stupendously detailed, impregnably supported indictment of one of the greatest premeditated mass murders in the history of mankind.

Read it and draw your own conclusions.

Byron