Storm Eagle Jutland PC game out now!

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
Djoser

Storm Eagle Jutland PC game out now!

Post by Djoser »

Just released, a dream come true for me. It's hard as hell for me to learn as I am not experienced with PC games at all, and I think my computer is low on memory which does not help at all. But wow it looks great. I might even buy another computer just to play it (my new Mac won't take it I think).

Anyway I don't know if it's against the rules to post a link. If it's OK maybe I will later, but if any of you are interested you can just do a search for the company name and Jutland, it will come up right away.

Here's a couple screenshots (edit-the thumbnails are big but click on them for the real pics):

Yeah that's a shell being fired in the second one. You can follow the trajectory views, though I haven't gotten that far yet.
José M. Rico
Administrator

Re: Storm Eagle Jutland PC game out now!

Post by José M. Rico »

The screenshots are just great, although I'm afraid the game will also be too much for my current computer. What are the system requirements?
Djoser wrote:Anyway I don't know if it's against the rules to post a link.
No problem. Go ahead and post the link.
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/public/home.html

I don't know what the system requirements are. Sorry, I suck at the techie stuff. I think it says somewhere on the site there in the link though.

The one thing I would say is maybe wrong on the site is that it's easy for a novice to dive into it, because I am having a hard time so far. But it could be the PC computer I have is now so full of stuff it's too slow, especially as I tend to keep like 50-60 Firefox pages open and running inactive so I don't have to reopen the pages every time. I doubt that's conducive to running a complex game in terms of combat resolution accuracy and advanced 3-D graphics. I don't think the game works with macs which is a shame but I'm about to try to see if it will work as this new MacBook is the bomb.

Hard time for novices or not, I'm going to keep at it, this is my dream game right here.
Djoser

Anyone tried the StormEagle Jutland computer game yet???

Post by Djoser »

This game looks so good, I have actually considered buying a very nice new PC so I can play it!

I have a very nice MacBook Pro already, which might be able to play the game with Bootcamp. But though I have Bootcamp installed, I have yet to try it.
Djoser

Re: Anyone tried the StormEagle Jutland computer game yet???

Post by Djoser »

Here are a couple reviews:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/jutland- ... review.htm

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/jutland/index.html

The graphics are superb! Almost good enough that we might not be needing the movie version (though as of yet we are sadly unable to simulate Mrs. Beatty's exploits).
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

Whoops, sorry Jose! I forgot I posted the old thread before.

Edit--Also, apparently the DRM is tricky on this; and their customer support is great at times, then rotten at others. I'm still inclined to get it as I am such a fan of the battle, but anyone thinking of buying it should probably check the reviews first and see what they think.

They also have a game about the Russo-Japanese War called Distant Guns, which came out first.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

Djoser wrote:I don't know what the system requirements are. Sorry, I suck at the techie stuff. I think it says somewhere on the site there in the link though.
G´day all

In a simulator game such as this the game engine is, I think, fairly simple but I´d expect the screen card to be a critical factor, it must be able to read quickly a massive amount of scripted files to reproduce the 3-D effects of the game. The slower your screen card read these files, the slower and possibly more distorted the graphic effects would be.

Before buying this game I´d check the capacity of my screen card.

Best regards
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

I don't play computer games at all anymore, but I downloaded the demo and played a bit an scenario called "The Duel", fired some salvoes, etc. There is a feature that allows you to follow the flight of the shells, really cool! :D The Game runs fine on my computer at a resolution of 1600 x 900 with a graphic card of 1GB. Nice game overall but It will take time to get used to it and I'm not sure I will have patience for that.