A new "Sink the Bismarck!" movie?

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
JCWilmore

A new "Sink the Bismarck!" movie?

Post by JCWilmore »

I am requesting help in promoting my idea for a new "Sink the Bismarck!" movie.

"Sink the Bismarck!" is the name of my original screenplay about the hunt for the German battleship "Bismarck" during World War Two. Yes, I am aware that there is already a movie named "Sink the Bismarck." It was written by Edmind H. North, directed by Lewis Gilbert and released in 1960. Interestingly enough, screenplays can share the names of other screenplays. If my screenplay is ever produced, it will be distinguished from the earlier movie by including the year of its release in its title, for instance: "Sink the Bismarck! (2007)" if, hypothetically it were to be released in 2007.

The earlier movie was heavily fictionalized and made use of special effects that, while cutting edge in 1960, are nothing compared today's computer generated effects. My retelling of the story follows the historical story much more closely and would rely on modern special effects technology to recreate this epic sea chase and naval battle.

In order to generate interest in the subject of the "Bismarck," the "Hood," and their last days, I have posted my movie script online. I am trying to generate enough hits to draw Hollywood's attention, so please visit my site often and leave lots of comments. I have also started an e-petition so you can express your interest in a new movie about the epic story of the “Bismarck” and “Hood.”

To read my script and post comments, visit me online at:

http://sinkthebismarck.blogspot.com/

The more “buzz” the site generates, the more likely we are to see another movie with up to date special effects. Please help!
Orville H. Larson

Post by Orville H. Larson »

The chase and sinking of BISMARCK merits a good movie.

"Sink The BISMARCK!" (1960) is an entertaining movie (good cast, good performances). However, it's flawed by errors and omissions that are inexcusable in a movie that portrays an historical event. It shows planes shot down that weren't, a destroyer sunk that wasn't, BISMARCK taking torpedo hits from a destroyer attack (she didn't). It omits mention of one of the commanders afloat (Rear Admiral Wake-Walker, RN, commanding a cruiser squadron).

The portrayal of the German fleet commander, Admiral Gunther Lutjens, is over the top. Lutjens is shown as a rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth type, at variance with that officer's dignified, almost Prussian character and personality.

Kenneth More's character (Captain Shepard, RN, Director of Operations) is a necessary role. However, the romantic subplot between him and Dana Wynter's character is unnecessary, and wastes screen time.

If there's ever a remake of "Sink The BISMARCK!"--and there should be!--it should be factual and comprehensive. "Tora! Tora! Tora!" and "The Longest Day" are good examples of this.
Alec Siegel

Post by Alec Siegel »

Hey, that link doesn't work. I'd be interested in reading the script.
"If you don't know history, you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." --Edward Johnston
RF

Post by RF »

I think a docu-drama would be far better than a Hollywood movie - and cut out the showbiz names.

It would be best possibly to focus on the German side, say on Mullenheim-Rechberg, on a style of format similar to ''Das Boot'' but it would require a good film director to pull it off.
The difficult bit would be the British side because there are so many aspects to this. Possibly Tovey would be the best focus point.

Another aspect would be to include Prinz Eugen - not leave her as just a name as per the Kenneth More film (which basically is what ''Sink the Bismarck'' was).
thechapmanbrothers

Bismarck Movie

Post by thechapmanbrothers »

I came across your post accidentally even though I have been using kbismarcks' resources for a couple of years.

From a personal point of view I would not want to see Hollywood recreate another movie based on a historical battle. Hollywood seems to think that recreating an authentic historical battle involves changing the original events to what they think really happened and having America as the victors. Example movies are "Das Boot" a brilliant recreation (although not on a single battle but nonetheless brilliant) of life onboard a uboat, and on the other hand you have "U571" about as much fact in that movie as Mongolia developing the first atomic weapons. I just hate hearing people talk about Hollywood war movies and coming away with the wrong knowledge and version of events.

As for a Bismarck movie you may be interested to know that my brother and have been for the last 5 years faithfully recreating a movie based on it's life in CG.
greatpolarbear

Post by greatpolarbear »

If the remake of the movie ever gets made, we could provide extras as we are a Kriegsmarine reenacting unit. We all have the correct blue and white uniform rigs. We are shore based personnel, but all we would need to do is to replace our career patches and that would be easy enough. Website link is below:

http://hometown.aol.com/greatpolarbear/ ... index.html
greatpolarbear

Post by greatpolarbear »

Some pictures..

Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

I believe that a new "Sink the Bismarck" movie must be a very thoughtfull movie in which the two sides must be considered. Is not only to have a potrayal of the German officers and crew as accurate as possible (and break the classic schemes) but to see the Hood also, and the PoW and, at the end, Tovey in the KGV.
In the original "Sink the Bismarck" Tovey and the Germans are there because they must be, not because they´re there to help the movie to be better.
Characters must be placed on board the antagonist vessels, specially in Hood (Lancelot Holland potrayed by Anthony Hopkins?) while at PoW Leach might be ideal. Lutjens must be potrayed faithfully but it´s more important the figure of Lindemann, Schneider and, Mullenheim Rechberg.
The movie must praise the courage of the RN and KM men at Rheinubung, not an ideologic essay like "Saving Private Ryan" or "Thin Red Line". And, not being a pro-war "Rambo styled" flick, it musn´t be another cheap Hollywood "anti-war" Oliverstonic propaganda.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
Karl Heidenreich

Am I crazy or the reenactment crew has a beautifull 88 gun there?
Was it the same one used in the movie "Downfall"?
Sir Winston Churchill
RNfanDan
Supporter

Post by RNfanDan »

And, of course...

You'll have to make up a completely fictitious female love interest--perhaps one sent by Göebbels as a guest reporter, and given a special berth just down the passageway from the CO's cabin.

Torn between his loyalty to Lütjens and the love of the hot Propaganda babe, the story ends with her unfortunate death. Only her little black book is safely delivered aboard Dorsetshire, by a kindly sailor who tried to help her escape, but to no avail. While aboard Dorsetshire, the book passes into the hands of an officer, who reads the book and discovers she was his ex-lover when he was stationed at the British Embassy before the war....(sniffle) :lol:
RF

Post by RF »

RNfanDan wrote:And, of course...

You'll have to make up a completely fictitious female love interest--perhaps one sent by Göebbels as a guest reporter, and given a special berth just down the passageway from the CO's cabin.

Torn between his loyalty to Lütjens and the love of the hot Propaganda babe, the story ends with her unfortunate death. Only her little black book is safely delivered aboard Dorsetshire, by a kindly sailor who tried to help her escape, but to no avail. While aboard Dorsetshire, the book passes into the hands of an officer, who reads the book and discovers she was his ex-lover when he was stationed at the British Embassy before the war....(sniffle) :lol:
Amidst all this would we see anything of Bismarck's bridge, the other officers etc. etc. Would there even be room for a special guest appearance by Hood, courtesy of Uncle Tom Cobly Firework Displays PLC?

And who would the sponsor be? A package holiday company pushing cruise ship holidays?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Karl Heidenreich

I´m still interested in the 88. I have a Tamiya 1/35 model and regard it as a very beautifull machine.
Sir Winston Churchill
greatpolarbear

Post by greatpolarbear »

It is a real 88mm and it is live. More pictures of us crewing it are on our website. The original owner passed away and we no longer have access to it. Although if another becomes available for use we are a trained crew for its use.

http://hometown.aol.com/greatpolarbear/ ... index.html

The gun in Downfall was a Russian 85mm.
Karl Heidenreich

greatpolarbear:

Congrats! Yeah, the russian 85 mm was very much like to the German 88mm. You tell us the owner died. Who has the gun? It´s worth a lot, I imagine.

The very big gun at the Atlantic Wall propaganda was from a French BB, isn´t it?
Sir Winston Churchill
paul mercer

Post by paul mercer »

If a new film is made I hope more attention is paid to HMS Rodney who did after all, score the first major hit.