A new "Sink the Bismarck!" movie?

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
Joe Hoffman

Re: A new "Sink the Bismarck!" movie?

Post by Joe Hoffman »

So what does everybody think of the screenplay. I know the dialog was thick, I always wanted more then not enough. It is easier to delete. With that said I won't work on it anymore than what is already here. I thought it was time for a new movie about the Bismarck. I just wished I could have been apart of its production. As I posted earlier Speilberg is already got plans on making a movie. I had an agent contact them, but they never responded back. "Bismarck", "Sink the Bismarck" or what ever title they end up giving it. The only joy I got from writing the script as come from your posts. I would like to thank Frank Allen from the Hood Ass. for helping me early on. The screenplay is registered at the screenwriters guild west.

Thank you all again
Joe Hoffman
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Hi Joe,

You should dust it off and resubmit it in a year or so ... you never know.
BismarckFan

Post by BismarckFan »

James Cameron spoke of making a 'Sink the Bismarck' movie, shortly after his Expedition Bismarck documentary hit televison a few back. However, either he realized it was too big a project to pursue or just not worth his time, he ended up making Avatar instead. I have not heard anything about a Bismarck movie from him since then. I hope that ONE day someone makes a movie about this amazing battleship. It would be awesome to see, especially to see a movie like this on the big screen! :clap:
RF

Post by RF »

Yes indeed it would - but the ''angle'' taken is the critical point as to whether the project is worthwhile.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

Wow what a shame he made Avatar instead of Bismarck. Though I'm sure untold millions of Americans (especially teenagers and the bovine masses willing to have their emotions shamelessly manipulated) would disagree. :lol:

I agree the angle taken could posit a serious problem in terms of making an historically accurate film. I don't trust Cameron. After all, he made Titanic. Though it should be said Titanic was an excellent movie after I edited out everything concerning Leonard diCaprio's character, and the girl, whoever she was (I forget, she was eminently forgettable). Except him drowning, had to leave that in. :clap:

I'd still love to see Cameron make a Bismarck movie--even if he went all gooey every five minutes, and also rewrote history ('the German Death Star'?), as he surely would have. I know how to edit video pretty well. I'd keep the battle scenes and the views of the ships at sea, and dump the rest, no doubt.
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

So what does everybody think of the screenplay.
Good job! A remake movie about the Bismarck is long overdue. My only hope (probably in vain) would be that any PC crap be kept out of it. Keep up the good work!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

frontkampfer:
Good job! A remake movie about the Bismarck is long overdue. My only hope (probably in vain) would be that any PC crap be kept out of it. Keep up the good work!
So forget it. Hollywood is uncapable of making a movie nowadays that is not PC. Maybe they will potray Tovey using Will Smith.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
lwd

Post by lwd »

Karl Heidenreich wrote: frontkampfer:
So forget it. Hollywood is uncapable of making a movie nowadays that is not PC. Maybe they will potray Tovey using Will Smith.
1) It doesn't have to be by Hollywood.
2) Your assessment of what Hollywood is capable is not at all well supported by the facts. Hollywood will make just about any movie that they can be convinced will make money.
RF

Post by RF »

lwd wrote: Hollywood will make just about any movie that they can be convinced will make money.
And with that goes the ''angle'' of the film....
lwd

Post by lwd »

Or not. A producer or director with a record for successful films has pretty much a free hand. Likewise small budget films are left pretty much alone. That of course can be good or bad depending on the individuals involved.
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

What I am refering to is that I hope any remake of the movie will dwell more on the the pursuit and battles, attention to technical detail and the human drama rather than the almost obligatory political statement on the evils of Hitler and the Nazi's. The whole story of the life and death of Bismarck unfolds almost like a novel. If one did not know the history they would be tempted to say it was made up. Any remake should stay focused on what happened as a testament to those involved. Save the PC message for a Quentin Tarantino "docu-drama". My 2 cents!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
RF

Post by RF »

I would agree with you frontkampfer, but when you look at the promotion of such a film - and it has to be advertised/promoted - what gets people's attention? A storyline or angle they can readily recognise and identify with, so they watch the film - or a factual, less well known account to promote the film that people won't so readily understand or identify with which fails therefore to excite their interest ?

Promotion is often by the lowest common denominator, such as nazies = bad.
lwd

Post by lwd »

I suspect you are right in that a remake would involve moralizng both in the script and in the promotion. The story IMO is dramatic enough that I don't think it would be required but then no one in the film industry is asking for my opinion either. I'll hope for the best on this one.

An interesting question is where is the brake point at which you would prefer that they just not make the film rather? What flaws make it bad enough that it's just not worth it?
RF

Post by RF »

The ''flaws'' I would object to are twofold - substantial historical inaccuracies and moralising propaganda.

Both of these flaws are demonstrated in ''Sink the Bismarck.'' I don't object to the fictional role of Captain Sheppard as it does enhance the clarity of the plot without actually ''altering history.''
But inaccuracies such as HMS Solent and Swordfish being shot down should not be there. The DS battle could have been more accurately shown in the ships firing on correct flank and that Hood opened fire on Prinz Eugen.
My biggest objection is the historical and propagandistic miscasting of the character of Admiral Lutjens as a nazi simpleton, particulary when the real evidence was that he wasn't even a skin deep nazi. The character of Lindemann was also miscast.
noworkinternational

Post by noworkinternational »

I read William Shirer's "The Sinking of the Bismarck" 32 years ago, and then saw "Sink the Bismarck" on the local UHF channel shortly thereafter.

For 1960, I watched a movie with excellent special effects (with two shots snagged from "Run Silent, Run Deep", a flick where the special effects were also the product of Howard Lydecker). Note HMS "Solent" getting hit and the freighter shot. Looks akin to the Akikaze and/or the Momo, and the freighter in the Bungo Straits.

Like RSRD, the movie makers of "Sink the Bismarck" decided to add personal crap that was unnecessary. BUT! I will take an English made War movie anytime over Hollywood. Easy cases and points are "The Yangtse Incident", "In Which We Serve", "Above Us the Waves", "Operation Crossbow", "This Happy Breed"., etc.

I'm a Yank, mate. Don't expect James Cameron to make a particularly good flick if history gets in the way about the Bismarck if he so chooses. He thought the special effects in "Sink..." sucked. Well, give me any movie with "Sink the Bismarck"'s special effects, and Kenneth More, and I'll have "A Night to Remember"! So, "Damn the Defiant"!

We know Cameron's grasp of movie magic. He can't handle the Lydeckers', the Derek Meddings', and the Buddy Gillespie's movie magic-making ability of the bygone days. And he certainly can't handle a story either.

Don't wait for Cameron to make a Bismarck movie. Do it yourself! Good luck and good shooting.

For what it's worth.