New Poseidon Movie

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
Karl Heidenreich

New Poseidon Movie

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

This year cinema´s remake of (course) of the "Poseidon Adventure"!
In 1972 it was the movie that make me love ships. :lol: After a while I discover that warships were a lot more fun than passenger liners, being the Titanic, the Doria and the fiction Poseidon the exceptions.
Let´s hope it´s a bonus.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

I saw the film too back in 1973 when I was a child. On the technical side, do you believe a capsized ship can remain afloat so long?
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

I've seen "The Poseidon Adventure" a few times, and I like the idea that a new version is being made. Gene Hackman was great in the original movie.

One of my favorites is "The Last Voyage", 1960, with Woody Strode who also played "Draba" in "Spartacus" the same year.

José
Karl Heidenreich

My dad who sailed on the Queen Mary (the ship used in the original 1972 movie) back in the 50ies told me that what happens in the Poseidon movie nearly happens for real.
In WWII the QM was sailing with troops from NY to Great Britain when somekind of gigantic wave hit her starboard side and list her more or less 30 to 35 degrees. The QM almost went upside down. Later I found an article on Smithonian about it and that Paul Galico, the novelist who wrote the book, took his idea from that incident.
I think that such a huge ship, if suddenly turned uypside down, with a lot of air trapped in her hull can float a lot in that condition. As far as I know when the rescuers drill a hole in her hull to extract the survivors there can be something like a explosive decompresion or such, and the sinking will be then a matter of minutes.
Karl Heidenreich

Has someone already seen "Poseidon"? :think:
Next week it opens here in Costa Rica and I´ll like to know how is it? Better or worse than the original?
Thanks.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
nwhdarkwolf

Post by nwhdarkwolf »

I haven't seen the remake, but I have seen the original a few times.

i have read several reviews and they state that nothing has been changed since the original.

Better special effects, etc, but no real plot to begin with.

It's advertised as a special effects movie, nothing more.