Historical Naval actions that would make good movies?

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
tommy303

Re: Historical Naval actions that would make good movies?

Post by tommy303 »

There was one film made in the early 1960's that related loosely to Emden, though the German ship was called Essen. It was set in the Pacific.
I seem to recall a fictional German cruiser called the Essen in the movie Sailor of the King with Michael Rennie.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
RF

Post by RF »

Yes, thats the film I was thinking of.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
noworkinternational

Post by noworkinternational »

Savo Island, November 13-15, 1942.

Actions that produced the true turning point in the Pacific War. Midway was grand, but still only a tactical victory.

Savo Island, November 1942 was a tactical draw, or loss, but a strategic victory.

In Harm's Way tried to kinda depict it, that and New Guinea, but bit off more than it could chew.

Hop to it! I want to see that movie!
RF

Post by RF »

noworkinternational wrote:
Actions that produced the true turning point in the Pacific War. Midway was grand, but still only a tactical victory.
This I think is a difficult concept. Japan had no chance of winning that war outright so the idea of a turning point cannot readily be applied.
noworkinternational

Post by noworkinternational »

Respectfully, RF, you still have to fight the battle, or play the game, to determine a winner.

Or else, we Yanks would have crowned the Philadelphia Eagles the American Football Super Bowl 46 champions in August before they played a game.

Your point reflects one where history is predetermined. I can't buy that. What if we chose to let the Japanese have the Pacific?
RF

Post by RF »

History isn't pre-determined. Japan attacked the USA without having the capability to finish the job.I have detailed on other threads hypothetical scenarios where the Japanese could have been on the winning side.

You cite the case of the Philagelphia Eagles. Well if they were playing a side who only had the stamina and strength to play out half the match, and then collapse from exhaustion, which side would you bet on winning? It isn't the case that a match result would be pre-determined, certainly not the actual score, its that the opposition isn't of a standard to justify being on the field.
neil hilton

Post by neil hilton »

Naval war films I'd like to see.

Savo Island.
North Cape.
Vella Lavella.
2nd Sirte.
1st and 2nd Narvik rolled into one movie.
Lepanto.
Jutland.
Dogger Bank.
Coronel and Falklands rolled into one movie.
Veni, vidi, verrimus!
I came, I saw, I swept the floor!
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

noworkinternational wrote:Savo Island, November 13-15, 1942.

Savo Island, November 1942 was a tactical draw, or loss, but a strategic victory.

In Harm's Way tried to kinda depict it, that and New Guinea, but bit off more than it could chew.

Hop to it! I want to see that movie!
I believe that the Battle of Savo Island actually took place August 9, 1942 and the result was the sinking of 4 allied cruisers with little loss to the Japanese. While it would make a spectacular movie, what I have generally seen referred to as The First and Second Battles of Guadalcanal--and what you are no doubt referring to as the dates are the same--were much more even fights with a lot of destruction being visited on both sides and a great deal of uncertainty as to the likely outcome. A better movie--but that's what you meant I am sure so maybe I should just shut up lol.
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

neil hilton wrote:Naval war films I'd like to see.

Savo Island.
North Cape.
Vella Lavella.
2nd Sirte.
1st and 2nd Narvik rolled into one movie.
Lepanto.
Jutland.
Dogger Bank.
Coronel and Falklands rolled into one movie.
Jutland, of course! The others are all good ideas but Lepanto would probably be best other than Jutland. A much nastier and closer run affair than most naval battles for sure. The taking of the Moslem flagship, and the struggle for the galleys of the Knights of St. John would both be highlights, and hard to beat for dramatic action.
neil hilton

Post by neil hilton »

Lepanto and even some of the naval battles of the Punic Wars would have both naval heroics and some seriously bloody close combat scenes.
Also, from the modern era were long range gunnery became the essence of naval war then such close up gunnery actions like the Narvik battles (crowded by Norwegian fjiords) and night actions like Vela Lavella would be edge of the seat stuff.
Veni, vidi, verrimus!
I came, I saw, I swept the floor!
steffen19k

Post by steffen19k »

San Bernardino Strait and Leyte Gulf as back to back sequels

An updated, and more accurate story of the Torpedo Boats in WW2, where US "plywood cockleshells" slugged it out with the Tokyo Express.

And maybe a thousand other scenarios
Here is everything I know about war: Someone wins, Someone loses, and nothing is ever the same again. Here is everything I know about life: The only certainties are death and taxes.
The enemy of freedom are those who proclaim only they can uphold it.