Battlestar Galactica as a Space Aircraft Carrier

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
Karl Heidenreich

Battlestar Galactica as a Space Aircraft Carrier

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Hey,

Have you seen the new BSG series on TNT? Not only it is a lot better than the 1979-80ies BSG (remember Lorne Greene and Dirk Bennedict?) but the producers made some serioues effort in giving this space opera some realism. The Battlestar Galactica IS an Aircraft Carrier with Air Wing, Combat Air Patrol (CAP) and a Commander Air Group (CAG).
The biggest flaw is that the XO is a Colonel! Not a naval rank but an Army one. But everything else is quite fine. The combats resembles a lot those of the WWII Pacific Campaign.

Best regards!
MJQ
Supporter

Re: Battlestar Galactica as a Space Aircraft Carrier

Post by MJQ »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:Hey,

Have you seen the new BSG series on TNT? Not only it is a lot better than the 1979-80ies BSG (remember Lorne Greene and Dirk Bennedict?) but the producers made some serioues effort in giving this space opera some realism. The Battlestar Galactica IS an Aircraft Carrier with Air Wing, Combat Air Patrol (CAP) and a Commander Air Group (CAG).
The biggest flaw is that the XO is a Colonel! Not a naval rank but an Army one. But everything else is quite fine. The combats resembles a lot those of the WWII Pacific Campaign.

Best regards!
Actually, it's on the Sci-Fi channel. As a big fan of the original series (what can I say, I was a kid when it came out), I was pleasantly surprised by the new series. It's well done, gritty and at times, gripping.

In the original series, the XO was a Colonel - while the new producers changed many things, they kept a lot the same, including the ranks of some of the major players.

Worth watching, that's for sure.
Martin
Karl Heidenreich

Here in Central America it´s presented by TNT, but I know that it was Sci Fi channel the one that distributed in the States.
Yeah, the original series is unforgettable. What was most was it´s original musical score; it´s a shame the new series doesn´t use the same music, the new one isn´t that great.
And yeah, I remember Colonel Tigh.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Starbuck is a woman now though :lol:

Yeah, I watch BSG here in England on Sky One too.
Great programme.

I'm only sorry that Admiral Kain was killed off so quickly after Pegasus was found.
I really liked her character.
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

I liked what I could see, but it was too dark for me to make out details and I quit watching it. If I had one of those huge screens and a home theatre I might still be watching it.

I am a sci-fi fan if it's good sci-fi. Now I can't even remember the name of my last favorite, but a movie called "Serenity" was made of it after it was cancelled. I bought the CD set. Sheesh, why can't I remember the name? I'm getting old.

Most of my favorite sci-fi series get cancelled, although I liked Babylon 5 and it lasted quite a while. I have that series on CD also. :)
Karl Heidenreich

Do some of you remember a British Sci Fi series called "UFO". It was produced by Gerry Anderson, the same guy that did "Captain Scarlett", "The Thunderbirds" and "Space 1999". It get on the air in 1970- 1971. It was very cool stuff, splendid music openning.
Just remembering now that Bgile began with nostalgia though!
iankw

Post by iankw »

Bg, would that be "Firefly" by any chance? I say that because me son bought the series at christmas and it features a ship called serenity. The main character is "caleb" from Buffy, and very good he is too.

regards
ontheslipway
Supporter

Post by ontheslipway »

Perhaps it's better for SF series to get cancelled after 4 seasons. Babylon 5 season 5 is pretty boring. Well, I do make an exception for Farscape, I would have loved a season 5. Fortunately I'm hooked up with the new BG.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

iankw wrote:Bg, would that be "Firefly" by any chance? I say that because me son bought the series at christmas and it features a ship called serenity. The main character is "caleb" from Buffy, and very good he is too.

regards
Yep, thank you! I love that series - all the characters are interesting.