Shout at the devil

Discussions on naval-war movies, films and games.
marcelo_malara

Shout at the devil

Post by marcelo_malara »

Hi all:

Have anyone see this old movie? It was made in 1976, based on a book by Wilbur Smith. It is about a German warship named Blucher (forget she was actually sunk in the North sea) stationed in a river in Africa. Supposedly it is based on the story of SMS Konigsberg, actually blocked in the Rufidji River.
On which of the two ships was the model of the film based, anyone can tell?
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

This is what I found at the IMDB:
A real ripping yarn, 30 November 2003

Author: johnson50 from March (or Die), ENGLAND

As a World War One naval buff, I enjoy this film on one level. As a film enthusiast, I enjoy it on another, all the more so for it being based on fact.

The actual story of the Koenigsberg is actually far less glamorous than the fate of the Blucher in this film but no less enthralling. After the ship was destroyed, her crew joined the German land forces under Count Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck and, together with their few thousand fiercely loyal African troops, fought 1 million British soldiers to a standstill for 4 years until, after the Armistice, they surrendered to the Portuguese, undefeated and proud. A tale well worth reading, far better than the fiction.

Back to the film. The central character is one Flynn O'Flynn, a thoroughly disreputable character, played by Lee Marvin. Always good value for money, he merely reprises Ben Rumson in Africa - no effort required! Roger Moore, aged 49, plays the 'young' interest! Mind you, he don't look bad for it! He is married to the delectable Barbara Parkins, Flynn's daughter Rosa, really the only female character in the film, a grim role she carries off to perfection. Fleischer, the evil German, the exact opposite of von Lettow-Vorbeck, is brilliantly overplayed by Rene Kolldehoff - he really is unlikeable! Also look out for Ian Holm as the mute Arab servant Mohammed.

The film has great pace, really rolling along, well shot in wonderful scenery. It has been well researched too. The Blucher, an actual German cruiser, has been pretty accurately recreated. The whole film has a very genuine feel.

I can see why it's not popular with female viewers. It's quite bloody, very cruel and Barbara Parkins character has a dreadful time of it. The scene in which the farm is burned is quite harrowing.

There are plenty of laughs too. Flynn O'Flynn has all of Ben Rumson's comic characteristics. The big fight between Marvin and Moore is very funny. And then there's Roger Moore blacked up as an African porter - he's about as convincing as I would be - and I'm blond!

If you're a fan of Ripping Yarns, then this one is for you. If not, then I wouldn't bother.
Well, that´s what I got.

Very best regards!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

I'm not too keen on this film, it strikes me as one of those movies that plays on facts and reinforces stereotypes in the name of entertainment, rather like U-571.

''African Queen'' is a far better film covering similar subject matter.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.