HMS EXeter post Graf Spee shell hits 'drawing/s'?

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
Kev D

HMS EXeter post Graf Spee shell hits 'drawing/s'?

Post by Kev D »

Gents,

Does anyone know if there exist any 'drawings' showing exactly where HMS Exeter was hit by Graf Spee, and more specifically the trajectory of the shells into / inside the ship (along the lines of drawing/s occasionally seen, IIRC, for HMS Prince of Wales after Bismarck action)?

Been reading the book, 'Exeter. A Cruiser Of The Medium Size' (EXCELLENT by the way, although 'action' doesn't start until at least 2/3rd's through, but still EXCELLENT nevertheless) and the authour gives a VERY descriptive account of all (or I think all) shell hits and describes any trajectories for the ones that made it inside the ship, so wondering if there were ever any AAR drawing/s made of said trajectories? (And yes, I have seen all or many of the pics of Exeter after she limped back to the Falklands, and know where the hits were in general, but would be very interested to actually 'see' the trajectories of any that penetrated as the book describes - as opposed to the ones detonating when they hit the ship, as several did on the forward turrets, and elsewhere, along with some very very near misses.)

TIA for any help.
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
Bill Jurens

Re: HMS EXeter post Graf Spee shell hits 'drawing/s'?

Post by Bill Jurens »

Very complete drawings and descriptions of the damage suffered by the British cruisers during the action with Graf Spee can be found in the British archives. If my notes are correct, they can be found in ADM 267/145.

Bill Jurens
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

Bill Jurens wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:07 am Very complete drawings and descriptions of the damage suffered by the British cruisers during the action with Graf Spee can be found in the British archives. If my notes are correct, they can be found in ADM 267/145.

Bill Jurens
Thanks VERY much Bill, I will try to obtain.

:ok:
We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant. HMS Repulse. Dec. 8 1941
A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
culverin

Post by culverin »

Kev,
if i could also advise, Bill is being incredibly modest here as in the current edition of Warship 2018 he has contributed an extensive article titled - Under the guns: Battle damage to Graf Spee, 13 Decmber 1939 of 22 pages. This follows 17 pages by Alan Zimm, a tactical analysis of the battle.

ADM 267/145 is noted in Bill's sources as an unclassified narrative of the battle published by His Majesty's Stationary Office in 1940 and, although i have not seen it, will be extensive and how much is devoted to Exeter i can not comment. The likely cost will be high and you need to pay TNA Kew just to check the file first unless you visit in person. Asking for certain pages is a no no. Ensure you are sat down when they give you the cost.

Back to Warship 2018, buy or borrow a copy, currently about £27 in the UK, always much of interest.
A full broadside. The traditional English salute.
Thanks. Sean.
Kev D

Post by Kev D »

culverin wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:59 pm Back to Warship 2018, buy or borrow a copy, currently about £27 in the UK, always much of interest.
First, thanks for the PM Sean. :ok:

Re the above, when someone else somewhere else advised me of contents of same I snapped up a copy right away. Mighty impressed (in both the articles concerning Graf Spee engagement by Jurens and Zimm) and also the very high quality of the of the overall book itself, and the quality of the individual authorships of the various articles themselves. Shame it didnt have an accomanying sister article re Exeter hits is all. :wink:

As for the advised ADM info by you and Bill, I'll see what I can do re procuring a copy.