M Class Light Cruiser Plans/Prinz Eugen Plans

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
Eternal_Spirit

M Class Light Cruiser Plans/Prinz Eugen Plans

Post by Eternal_Spirit »

Hi All! I am after a set of plans for the German "M" Class Light cruiser (or Advanced "M")

http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/ ... index.html

Cruisers "M" & "Q" on the above page.

I have those images (obviously) and am thinking hull form, and I rekon that a Admiral Hipper class hull would do pretty well if I cannot find origionals of the "M"s. Now I DO have plans downloaded from "The Dreadnought Project" but these are deck plans, and I am after frame plans as they will give me a better hull form.

I want these plans becasue I am building a Radio-Controlled fleet (at 1:96 scale) of the "H", "P", "O" & "M" Classes and the Graf Zeppelin. I am using scaled up hulls of the Bismarck and Scharnhorst for the "H" & "P" classes respectivally ~ Both approx 9 feet long. "P" class being the battlecruiser, "O" class being the super-heavy cruiser or something like that. I am thinking on a Deuischland (sp) hull for the "O" but have not looked into that much yet. I have plans for the Graf Zeppelin as well so done there, but I cannot find a suitable hull form in my (extensive) collection of WW2 Naval litriture! lol

Anywho like I said I am thinking an Admiral Hipper hull for the "M"s, but I cannot seem to find an English book with frame plans in! Does anybody know of a site where I can get plans, or a book I should buy?

Thanx in Advance, David.

BTW I have asked the National Maritime Musium (Grenwich) and have "Heavy Cruisers of the Admiral Hipper Class" by Gerhard Koop and Klaus-Peter Schmolke and there is no info there.
Eternal_Spirit

Post by Eternal_Spirit »

Anybody out there got ANY ideas??? I can see you all looking...... :?: :think:
RF

Post by RF »

Having looked at the page given on the link, what we seem to have here is a Z Plan ship for a light cruiser with the tonnage of a heavy cruiser. Moreover the two turrets each fore and aft look to be too close to each other - one enemy shell could knock out half of the M classe firepower....

I don't think it is a very good design, and your suggestion of a Hipper classe hull reinforces this - as why put 15cm. guns on a Hipper?

If you want a ''super light cruiser'' I would go for a design rather like 1047, the Germans proposed Dutch battle cruiser, but using an appropriate frame for say a main armament of 155 mm. guns in the three triple turrets.
Or alternatively, for a lighter ship, a panzerschiffe frame, scaled down in size so that the two triple turrets are of either 15 cm. or 155mm.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.