Swastikas and sterneagles?

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
Stud Baker

Swastikas and sterneagles?

Post by Stud Baker »

I am currently building several models of german warships.
And I was wondering...
What ships had swastikas painted on their decks? And what ships had sterneagles? I know the Graf Spee had, but what other ships had such eagles?
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

The stern eagles and crests were removed shortly after the outbreak of the war, except on Admiral Graf Spee which was at sea at the time. She carried hers throughout her raiding career. On German pre-war torpedo boats and destroyers, the Hoheitsadler was mounted usually on the foreward bridge structure.

As far as the swastikas painted on the decks, those were for air recognition and were on most larger ships at one time or another, but were not a permanent feature. They were frequently covered or painted over. One should research the time period for the model you are building and figure out then if the swastika was present during a specific time you model will represent.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Stud Baker

Post by Stud Baker »

tommy303 wrote:The stern eagles and crests were removed shortly after the outbreak of the war, except on Admiral Graf Spee which was at sea at the time. She carried hers throughout her raiding career. On German pre-war torpedo boats and destroyers, the Hoheitsadler was mounted usually on the foreward bridge structure.

As far as the swastikas painted on the decks, those were for air recognition and were on most larger ships at one time or another, but were not a permanent feature. They were frequently covered or painted over. One should research the time period for the model you are building and figure out then if the swastika was present during a specific time you model will represent.
Thanks for the answer!
I knew about the Graf Spee. And I have also seen a pic of Scharnhorst with the sterneagle on, but do not know at what time this pic was taken.
I am currently building a small modell (1:570) of the Bismarck, and have studied the drawings of her on http://www.kbismarck.com .
Since I plan to build more models of german warships, I was just curious of what other ships that had these symbols on them...