ORP Piorun

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
shiplover

ORP Piorun

Post by shiplover »

Hello.

I'm looking for ORP Piorun plans, drawings and etc. Could somebody help me?

Thank You very much.
Best regards
Chris
RNfanDan
Supporter

Post by RNfanDan »

shiplover

ORP Piorun

Post by shiplover »

I will be very graetfull for photos of details this ship or her sisterships. ( superstructure, deck equipment, etc.

Thanks.
Best regards
Chris
shiplover

ORP Piorun

Post by shiplover »

And maybe somebody knows where can I buy modelar plans drawings of destroyers class N.

Thanks
Michael L

Re: ORP Piorun

Post by Michael L »

Greetings fellow Members.
I submitted this post on another Forum Subject, but felt it was more appropritate to place it here.
I would like to pay tribute to the actions of the Polish ORP Piorun (Okręt Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej, "Warship of the Republic of Poland" "Thunderbolt"). I sincerely feel that Captain, Crew and Ship fought bravely, and in no small measure assisted Vain’s RN destroyers in harassing Bismarck during the night 26/27 May.
Kind regards, Michael L.
Michael L

Re: ORP Piorun

Post by Michael L »

The following extracts come from Ludovic Kennedy’s, Pursuit, The Sinking of the Bismarck.
Pages 171/2.
The first thing was to take up shadowing positions, cast a net round Bismarck from which she would not escape: one destroyer on each bow and quarter, Cossack shadowing astern. A Piorun and Maori steered to the northward to reach a position on Bismarck’s bows, Schneider open fired on them. This made Commander Plawski in Piorun very annoyed, he and his fellow Poles had many scores to settle with the enemy, it was from their beloved and now ravaged country, from the port they knew as Gdynia and which the Germans arrogantly renamed Gotenhafen, that Bismarck had just come. So he ordered the quartermaster to steer towards Bismarck and at a range of just under seven miles he opened fire with his little 4.7 inch guns. For the next half-hour Piorun and Bismarck, the one 1,700 tons the other 50,000, kept up a spirited exchange. Although the Poles knew it unlikely they were doing any damage, the thought that they might be gave immense satisfaction. When one of the Bismarck’s salvoes straddled his ship, the nearest shell bursting only twenty yards away, Plawski concluded honour was satisfied, made smoke and turned away.
According to one report, Pławski transmitted the message "I am a Pole" before commencing fire on Bismarck.
Other sources say the signal to commence fire was "Trzy salwy na cześć Polski" = "Three salvoes in honour of Poland".
Page 175.
At 5 a.m. Vain signalled Piorun by wireless to return to Plymouth, as he knew she must be very short of fuel. Plawski and his crew, still searching for Bismarck to the south-east, were dreadfully disappointed. Unlike the British who considered the enemy as a scourge to be eradicated, a boil to be lanced, the Poles hated them with a deep, personal loathing, for their brutal conquest of Poland, for making them exiles from their own land. Further, they had ten torpedoes to the Tribal’s four, which gave them a far better chance of hitting; all they wanted was to get in really close to Bismarck, pump every one of them into her. To have come so near to getting their own back as this, then to be denied it, was almost unbearable. For an hour Plawski ignored Vain’s order, continued searching for Bismarck, then with bitter regrets turned for the Channel.