Faired Line Drawings

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
bb_44

Faired Line Drawings

Post by bb_44 »

I have a fiberglass hull of 1/100 scale Bismarck (I also have the fiberglass hull of the Prinz Eugen) and getting ready to build the model. Usually model builders will measure the height of deck and width by station and construct a template sheet with stations that the hull sits over to get the accuracy of measurement. I have found that almost all plans have some inaccuracies and measuring heights and widths directly off plans can be misleading. However in constucting the Pennsylvania and California battleshlips I was fortunate to find faired line drawings with numerical information for deck heights (top deck and main deck) and widths of the decks by station to 1/8" (sometimes called half heights). Translating the numerical data into the template was not only faster but far more accurate as I could keep the width and heights to great accuracies. Anyone know of Bismarck of Prinz Eugen faired line drawings with this numerical information? The Penn. plans were a copy from 1916 and Cal. plans 1922 in 1/96 scale.
Bill Jurens

Re: Faired Line Drawings

Post by Bill Jurens »

Although the Bundesarchiv in Germany still holds a high-quality faired lines plan for Bismarck, at scale 1:100, I do not think they still have numerical offsets. My recollection is at a full offset book was captured by the Allies after the war, but has subsequently been lost or misfiled.

In most cases, the heights at various locations along the sheer draft were defined via an equation, usually of parabolic form. So, for heights at least, it should be fairly simple to reconstruct the actual sheer line quite accurately via equation. Without returned offsets, obtaining the widths of stations in plan to great accuracy would require fairing the lines again; a straightforward -- though admittedly tedious -- task.

Bill Jurens
Richard Dunn

Re: Faired Line Drawings

Post by Richard Dunn »

Hi guys I have been redrawing this Ship for 3 years now as a 3d model , using origianal plans so I can recreate a full (large)set of structural drawings I can provide offsets from my 3d hull at any grid level you require.
I am a Naval Architect as well so you can be sure they are accurate I my self am in the process of building a 1/48 model but am having all the parts CNC cut , But if you need offsets thats fine

Hope this helps