Bismarck Painting - Your favourite view

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
Deon

Bismarck Painting - Your favourite view

Post by Deon »

Hi all.

I am a member of the aviation forum avcom.co.za administrated here in South Africa. Through Avcom, I have been able to get a few commissions for aviation art. My latest commission is a painting of RAF 9 squadron Lancaster bombers on way to Lossiemounth in preparation for the final bombing of Tirpitz. My research into the bombing obviously led to much reading about Tirpitz and Bismarck. Thus I decided to paint one of them.

Well good news, my client wants not only his Lanc painting, but has also commissioned a Bismarck painting. So I will be bugging you guys a lot for advice.

Here are some thoughts for your comment:

1. I was thinking of doing something unique initially with Tirpitz/Bismarck and paint her astern or ahead, showing that awesome width of her.
2. Then again, Bismarck saw a lot more open water, so that allows for some choppy seas.
3. Lastly, Bismarck used those guns...smoke...flame reflecting on the water.
4. Oh, and of course, the camoflage, how can I forget - astern/ahead that will not be shown.

So, what would be your favourite view of her...
Fantor

Re: Bismarck Painting - Your favourite view

Post by Fantor »

Astern with the battle flag flying and guns firing and full speed.

Ahead also firing and braking the waves at full speed. Another nce one.

I think I will love both of them. However, the one astern is a lot more rare I would think With all that water comming out of the sea due to the propellers and the flag flying in the stern pole, that will put the ship in trials I believe and not in a real battle were the flag is in the maint mast. But still a nice painting.

Regards and looking forward to see the paintings.

Edgar
Deon

Post by Deon »

Hello Fantor.

The guy that commissioned the painting wants a view from the side or from the 1/2 o'clock posision ahead.

But I agree. Astern has amazing artistic potential. The white foam behind her as well as the battle flag...

Would they have bothered with the battle flag when she was doing sea trials? I was thinking sea trials will allow for a nice 'theoretical' scene where I need not worry about the light coming from a specific direction in order to fit in with a specific battle where i have to bare in mind things like the weather, the state of the sea and the time of day. Yes! I agree - guns blazing. Man! those guns must have warmed those sailors hearts.
The_Ships_Cat

Post by The_Ships_Cat »

You could always apply the principle of how I was taught to photograph commerical pictures of lorries and other suchlike
3 quarters front to back on in the case of Bismarck 3 quarters bow to stern.
"We stand tall on the quarterdeck, son.
All of us."