Bismarck 1:100 deck planking

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
Glazer

Bismarck 1:100 deck planking

Post by Glazer »

Hi i am starting my new project the MZ 1:100 model.
But i am alredy in my first dillemma. I dont know which wood to use for the planking.
Mz offers to kinds the dark or the bright wood planks.
I dont know which one would be historical correct, what was used for the deck and 1940??
I do you have any experience with wood planking, how not to do, and maybe some good tips how to it right the first time.

Best regards
tc432

Re: Bismarck 1:100 deck planking

Post by tc432 »

Glazer, I too am building a 100 scale Bismarck. I chose after a long search to go with bass wood. I have seen many modelers use real teak. I feel this is a mistake due to the dark color (too dark even at this scale) and because of the large visible grain. Bass wood is readlily avaible tight grained and to me resembles the proper color at 1/100 scale. The other problem I see is that people cut their planks too wide ie 1/4" ,1/8" . 1/16" wide is about right. I bought microscale pre glued sheets 3"x23". It consists of 1/16" planks individually glued together with black glue. Each plank comes from various sheets giving you subtle changes in each plank color-a nice touch. Planking the deck with individual planks yourself is best but also time consuming. I will do some of each. Did you buy the entire MZ kit? Where are you Located I am in N.Y USA. Tom
tc432

Post by tc432 »

The real ship used Teak.
Glazer

Post by Glazer »

tc432 wrote:Glazer, I too am building a 100 scale Bismarck. I chose after a long search to go with bass wood. I have seen many modelers use real teak. I feel this is a mistake due to the dark color (too dark even at this scale) and because of the large visible grain. Bass wood is readlily avaible tight grained and to me resembles the proper color at 1/100 scale. The other problem I see is that people cut their planks too wide ie 1/4" ,1/8" . 1/16" wide is about right. I bought microscale pre glued sheets 3"x23". It consists of 1/16" planks individually glued together with black glue. Each plank comes from various sheets giving you subtle changes in each plank color-a nice touch. Planking the deck with individual planks yourself is best but also time consuming. I will do some of each. Did you buy the entire MZ kit? Where are you Located I am in N.Y USA. Tom

Hi thanks for the replys.
Yes i bought the hole kit and i am located in Copenhagen, Denmark.
I have the same idea. I think that real teak gets to dark in the small scale, and i realle like the brighter wood colours.
Could you post some pictures Tom from N.Y??
Is your a kit or a homemade Bismarck 1:100?
I would also like to do the black silicone glueing between the planks, like on a real ship. Do you have any ideas? Iam thinking about usesing a canula, but i dont know if i can squeece it out of the needle.

Best regards
tc432

Post by tc432 »

Glazer, I have a scale shipyard hull and the Mz kit above deck. I just completed the hull and like you, I am just begining the decking. I havent figured out what to use for the black glue yet. Perhaps copy machine toner mixed with a glue might work. here is some amazing work being done in Germany. http://forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index. ... 372.0.html
Enjoy. I will post photos of my ship and decking soon. Regards
Capitão Norbert

Post by Capitão Norbert »

Hi friends, i am doing a 1:100 scale model of Bismarck too;
My model is scratch built and yours can see at(superstructure stages) hull still not builded:

http://forum.modelismo-na.net/viewtopic.php?t=8612

Regards :D
Norbs
Kapitän Hans

Post by Kapitän Hans »

Hi there

I nearly completed the Bismarck on an MZ Kit and 22 000 photo etched parts which I made myself.
I included 77 RC Functions.
For deck planking I used German Cheery wood veneer. ( 0,6 mm thick)I cut the strips with a good paper cutting machine.

Teak is too dark, Boxwood too light.

Cherrywood varnished with a woodvarnish gets close to the real color of Bismarck planking.

If you want see 100 of pictures of my model please go to

http://forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index. ... 372.0.html

unfortunately you have to register to see the pictures

Best regards

hans
bb_56

Post by bb_56 »

Hello,
You will be much better off with the lighter color. If you look at an aerial photo how many darker decks have you seen? Weathering on wood tends to lighten the color especially if the deck was holy stoned by the crew. Basswood is the best to use and not real teak. Too much exposed open grain in Teak and is not good as a scale wood. Basswood has traditionally worked best and has the right color. I'm experimenting with using Port Orford Oregon Cedar. Its also white in color and doesn't have the red hue that common cedar has. Also no open grain pattern and the resistance to weathering is better than anything out there including basswood. Sitting on the lumber for 2 years and hasn't oxidized at all. Looking forward to trying it on my 1/100 bismarck and prinz eugen. All in all unless you can get Port Orford which is unlikely than use basswood and nothing else. Have fun!
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Hello!
I saw in the catalogue of Lassek that he sells sheets with planks. Maybe an option? I am impressed by the parts of Lassek, much nice stuff. I consider those planks he has although I am far away from finishing the hull, my priority is the superstructure, and specially the aft section (see my 'mast-topic')
Greetz!
Gerard Albert

Post by Gerard Albert »

Hello My name is Gerard Albert & Im interested in ordering the MZ 1:100 kit or related items, The internet site I found is all in German.
Do not know how to contact them. Could you help me.Also what do you think of the quality of there work?

Thanks

Gerard Albert
Lancaster, Pa USA
Gerard Albert

Post by Gerard Albert »

Hi: My name is Gerard Albert Where did you get your MZ kit?
I live in Lancaster Pa, USA
Thank you
Glazer

Post by Glazer »

Hi.
I am located in Copenhagen, Denmark.
I find the quality realle good and super detailed, you can of coarse improve the detail, but that is always a option with models. Always space for your own improvements.
They have a english site aswell, but the shop is only in german.
http://www.mz-modellbaushop.de/start.ph ... smarck.php

Best regards
bb_44

Post by bb_44 »

Hello,

I'm building a model of the Prinz Eugen in 1/100 scale. Many modifications to the hull so I'm not to the planking part yet. I would go lighter because teak lightens on a deck and also because models should be a couple of shades lighter than the real ship. For example, one should always lighten his paints to compensate for scale. The smaller the scale the lighter the color. You should also consider grain in the wood. Teak would not be a good choice because its too grainy. Most modelers around me use basswood for their models. Its cheap, available, no apparent grain patterns, easy to work and light in color. I would also consider Accoya wood (also called Titan wood). Another mention is Pacific Port orford cedar. It is also light but has the advantage of weathering better than basswood. Accoya wood ranks first for any wood for weatherability as it doesn't absorb moisture will last as long as your model. Any of these woods machines well and would look good on a model ship. Accoya wood starts off darker but lightens up with UV radiation. The cons with Basswood is that it darkens with UV radiation and doesn't weather as good as Port orford Cedar or Accoya wood.
Capitão Norbert

Post by Capitão Norbert »

i am using lime in my Bismarck 1:100 deck planking :D
Norbs