Scharnhorst in 3D

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

These are great pictures to view... Outstanding work! If you ever decide to do the same work on the Gneisenau, I would be extremely happy if you would post them at this forum too.

However I made one observation, or more correct I suspect a detail to be absent here, namely the view of her Anton-turret. One of the differences between the twins, making comparisons easy when looking at the different ships from bow astern was that the Anton-turret of the Scharnhorst had circular stowage bins at the base of her Anton-turret. I presume your model to be based upon her post-Cerberus appearance, hence the additional Flak vierlings, but were these bins ever removed..?
rtwpsom2

Re: Scharnhorst in 3D

Post by rtwpsom2 »

The stowage bins were for barrel cleaning rods, and they will be there by the time it is finished, just one of the details like vents and electrical boxes that have not been added yet. Cesar had it's barrel cleaning kit mounted on the deck just aft of Cesar turret, while Anton and Bruno had theirs mounted on each side of the Anton.

As for Gniesenau, I am not sure. You really have no idea how much time and energy I have put into this and I intend to have a good long break when it is done. But the saying goes, "In for a penny, in for a pound." It would be a shame to do only one of the sisters when the other could be done as easily, relatively speaking, but it will definitely not be until after a break.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

Oh, my sincere apologies for making rushed assumptions. I didn't know these images still were in progress.

Whether you decide to make one on Gneisenau or not, your Scharnhorst remain a stunning view. Though I might not see the extent of effort you've put down in making these, I do indeed appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to do so. 3D-images is indeed a rare and exotic way of viewing the Scharnhorst.
rtwpsom2

Post by rtwpsom2 »

It's not like that, I encourage everyone to point out errors, I want this to be the most accurate model it can be, so feel free to point them out.
rtwpsom2

Post by rtwpsom2 »

Here are the latest batch of renders with the aft superstructure nearly complete.

rtwpsom2

Post by rtwpsom2 »

Here is a detail I have been absolutely dreading!!! The nameplate. Amazingly enough there is a font that corresponds to this called gothicg and this piece was about a thousand times easier than I thought it would be while still being amazingly accurate.

rtwpsom2

Post by rtwpsom2 »

next update: bow anchors are done. Stern anchor is done as well, but I haven't done the chains yet.

rtwpsom2

Post by rtwpsom2 »

Here are some screen captures from the completed hull.

The only difference between the left and right sides are a few scuttles are in different locations, and there are two waste chutes on the port side.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Beautifull work indeed!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
racinggreen

Post by racinggreen »

Hi,
I love what you've done here, she looks brilliant!
What will you do with the finished work?
rtwpsom2

Post by rtwpsom2 »

I plan on doing some drawing sets to sell for anyone who is doing a model or waants them for research purposes. I might also have some drawings and renders published in a book on the sisters in the not really near but not really distant future.
racinggreen

Post by racinggreen »

I'll look forward to seeing her in her glory when she's complete & hopefully I'll be able to buy an image or 2.

She was arguably the most beautuful ship ever to sail & it's great to see the effort you've taken in the detail to allow someone like me to see all of that tremendous detail.

I thank you
rtwpsom2

Post by rtwpsom2 »

Getting really close now. Here is the third of the five sub-assemblies to be completed.

rtwpsom2

Post by rtwpsom2 »

And the fourth. All that is left now is the aft superstructure.

racinggreen

Post by racinggreen »

What happened to the images?