Bismarck Colour Help please

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
Chel Sea
Supporter

Bismarck Colour Help please

Post by Chel Sea »

Hello everybody :wavingsmilie:

One minor thing that I have been stuck on recently is the Lower Hull painting. I have an old 1/600 scale Airfix Bismark, which I'm very slowly constructing. I have various books, but the colours vary (as per usual in these things). To cut a long story short should I use a Brick Red (initial choice) or a Red-Brown? Or even yet another colour or combination?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Cheers.
Mejores saludos, Lucas
Javier L.

Post by Javier L. »

Hello Chel Sea,

I think that the color you are looking for is Schiffsbodenfarbe III Rot 5: underwater red.

and take a look at this website
http://www.shipcamouflage.com/kreigsmarine.htm
Chel Sea
Supporter

Post by Chel Sea »

Estimado Javier, Wow, that's amazing and a useful link as well. I printed up the colour card that you were kind enough to put on there, and yes, I have come across Rot 5 when modelling German Tanks so I have that in stock already thank goodness, so that has saved me a trip to the shop.

The notoriously unreliable Airfix instructions advocate utilising a brick red (like the alternate colour on the card), but the exellent diagrams of Manuel Gonzalez-Lopez show that same Rot 5/Red Brown and since his diagrams have the best integrity to hand, I got confused, my own reference although the best a lay-person can buy (worth the money, since I've also got a Tirpitz in the pipeline too), shows different and even incorrect colours (I was surprised at Osprey New Vanguard 71, a recent book for doing this, I already have about 25 of their books, and I was a bit shocked at how innacurate some of the colours were on that).

Anyway, I've been agonising over this for a long time now, so I am very grateful to you, Saludos, Lucas.
Mejores saludos, Lucas
Javier L.

Post by Javier L. »

You're welcome. :D