Dragon's Scharnhorst kit released

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
rtwpsom2

Dragon's Scharnhorst kit released

Post by rtwpsom2 »

Dragon's new Scharnhorst kit has shipped and should be in the retailers hands by the first week of August. There will also be kits available for sale at the Dragon Models USA booth at IPMS Nationals in Phoenix. :dance:
Karl Heidenreich

Re: Dragon's Scharnhorst kit released

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Since June I have been looking for it! This is great news. :clap:
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
Michael Knowles

Post by Michael Knowles »

I have acquired the Scharnhorst kit, and it is without a doubt the very finest injection molded kit I have ever purchased.

The hull utilizes slide molding technology so that every port hole and drip rail is clean and uniformly molded. The upper hull and lower hull are separate, and tongue and grooved for positive attachment if you want a full hull model.

The deck is in two pieces, withe joint beneath the deck under a 4.1" twin mount. It is clear of anything on the deck, with molded depressions for each and every fitting and deck house. The deck planks are clear but subdued.

The guns are all pre-drilled -- 11', 5.9", 4.1", 37mm and 20mm!

The ships boats are fully detailed with cabin interiors, keels, rudders and screws. The upper parts are clear for real window detail.

The AA guns are miniature models in themselves with 9-11 parts each!

I am curious at the decision to have the deck railings as a separate purchase, but at about $20, it is not the sticker shock of the Japanese fleet where the PE doubles the cost of the kit.

My only disappointment is the empty aircraft catapult. The explanation for the lack of an AR-196 float plane is that none was present on the ships final voyage, but it would set off the ship nicely, and it's absence is most notable.

I am most satified with this Dragon release. I am confident you will be too.
Karl Heidenreich

My Schanhorst will arive by Christmas. But I must tell you that so far the finest injection kit I have put my hands on is 1:350 Akagi from Hasegawa.
Sir Winston Churchill
Karl Heidenreich

Well, after waiting quite a while I got my 1:350 Schnahorst. But now I am busy with a 1:350 Kirov soviet Battlecruiser. Just finished my Akagi (6 months in the making!). Schanhorst will get his time next year 2012 before the end of the World.
Sir Winston Churchill