Stunning Diorama on Model Warships gallery

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
paulcadogan

Stunning Diorama on Model Warships gallery

Post by paulcadogan »

Guys,

Check this out! Absolutely amazing work - although I'll nit pik that the Hood model is pre-war and the gun elevation is too high on PoW and yes the ships are too close (but for diorama purposes that's understood). But it really captures the horror of 6:02+/- straight out of Antonio's favourite painting! Make sure you look at the last picture at the bottom.

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

What do you think?

Paul
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
RF

Re: Stunning Diorama on Model Warships gallery

Post by RF »

It's certainly a dramatic picture.

My main comment - and I know that it is sort of nit-picking - is that I think the colour is too sharp for what is an early morning that was overcast. The light conditions were I believe more dreary whereas the picture could almost be a bright sunny day....
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
rea00cy

Post by rea00cy »

paulcadogan wrote:Guys,

Check this out! Absolutely amazing work - although I'll nit pik that the Hood model is pre-war and the gun elevation is too high on PoW and yes the ships are too close (but for diorama purposes that's understood). But it really captures the horror of 6:02+/- straight out of Antonio's favourite painting! Make sure you look at the last picture at the bottom.

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

What do you think?

Paul
You got it right, Paul. Rather than focusing on the historical or technical details- most of which I was unaware at the time I built it (2006)- in this diorama emphasis was put on the drama and the horror of that fateful event on May 24th, 1941. Originally I took as reference the painting by J.C. Schmitz-Westerholt as is shown in photo # NH50741kn at the NHC site. Last summer I decided to upgrade the diorama by remaking the special effects ( fire, smoke, gunblasts, shell plumes...hardly seen in ship modeling) to make the scene more realistic putting forward the best of my skills and ingenuity as a modeler in their making. This upgraded version is the one submitted to modelwarships.com.

Thanks for your comments,

Jorge Martinez (rea00cy)
Seekanone

Post by Seekanone »

The diorama is visually stunning. It seems Hood is awfully high out of the water but that may be a misjudgment on my part.
Great job in depicting one of the great naval tragedies of the 20th Century. :clap: :clap:
RF

Post by RF »

Seekanone wrote: It seems Hood is awfully high out of the water
I can see what you mean, but of of course these are still pictures covering but a moment in time.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.