Great New Kits Coming!

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
paulcadogan

Re: Great new kits coming!

Post by paulcadogan »

paulcadogan wrote: RF wrote:I don't understand that ''no accurate plans can be obtained'' as these must have existed from when these ships were designed.

Maybe I should have worded that differently - a closer quote is that they did not have enough reference materials and would have had to guess at a lot of features. Maybe they exist but they haven't been able to access them yet.

Dragon has, according to what we were told on the modelwarships site, set the bar so high for itself in terms of accuracy and detail -and their recent destroyer kits, even at 1/700 are strikingly detailed, including photo etch - that they will not invest in something unless they can satisfy that requirement.

But I do think there's commercial viability for the earlier German destroyers - from Norway 1940 to the Arctic convoys - plus they are more easily recognized because of the names. But I suppose there is hope...
And hope can be rewarded!! Trumpeter (not Dragon) has announced the Wilhelm Heidcamp (Z-21) in 1/700 for September release.... :clap: :clap:

German Zerstorer Z-21 1940
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
RF

Re: Great new kits coming!

Post by RF »

Very good!
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
paulcadogan

Re: Great New Kits Coming!

Post by paulcadogan »

For US battleship fans, Trumpeter will be coming out with the Big 5 in 1/700 - Colorado, Maryland, West Virginia, California and Tennessee. At this point it looks like 1941 fit, but I would hope they will include post-Pearl Harbor variants. No release dates yet, but certainly next year.

Trumpeter's 1/350 Warspite (1942) should be out by the new year - directly competing the the Academy kit released a few months back. This month the 1/700 1915 version should be available. Seems Trumpeter is releasing the QE's WW2 in 1/350 and WW1 in 1/700 - much to the frustration of those of us who want the WW2 version, but it 1/700.
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Trumpter keeps expanding its German destroyer fleet: A 1934A kit will be out in April - Z7 Hermann Schoemann, sunk during the epic fight with HMS Edinburgh in April 1942.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/news/trumpeter.shtml

An account of the battle from the British side:

http://www.world-war.co.uk/loss_edinburgh.php3
RF

Post by RF »

As an aside one of the Hermann Schoemann's skippers earlier in the war was Theodor Detmers, who was taken from command of that ship to captain the hilfskreuzer Kormoran.

In his book Detmers has quite a bit to say about the Schoemann and its dodgy engines, though surprisingly he makes no mention of the plan to install diesel engines on that ship. Maybe these plans were only known to senior officers.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

RF wrote:In his book Detmers has quite a bit to say about the Schoemann and its dodgy engines, though surprisingly he makes no mention of the plan to install diesel engines on that ship. Maybe these plans were only known to senior officers.
I think Trumpeter's people got more than a bit mixed up in writing their history for the Schoemann (and the 1934A class). Their description refers to "Zerstorer 1942" - which was a design planned to be diesel-powered. I believe the 1934A's had steam turbines only. Acording to Wiki, the only 1942 destroyer was Z-51 laid down in 1943 and launched in 1944, then sunk by Allied air attack while fitting out in March 1945.

Given Trumpeter's increasing range of German destroyer offerings (1/700 Z-21, 25,28,30,37 & 43 with newly announced Z-7, 1/350 Z-30, 43) it could be that they are planning a Z-51 (pure speculation on my part)!
Dresden

Post by Dresden »

Any chance that Trumpeter will do a 1/350 California (post-41)? Or (praying or a miracle) a 1/200 California??

As a Californian, there's nothing I'd like better than a nice big kit for the only BB built on the West Coast.
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Dresden wrote:Any chance that Trumpeter will do a 1/350 California (post-41)? Or (praying or a miracle) a 1/200 California??

As a Californian, there's nothing I'd like better than a nice big kit for the only BB built on the West Coast.
Given their usual trend, and the fact that they're doing all the Big 5 in 1/700, I'd say a 1/350 of at least one is possible - even probable. Whether the fit is Pearl Harbor or post refit is anybody's guess. 1/200? Your guess is as good as mine.

For me, the big disappointment so far has been no 1/700 WW2 Queen Elizabeth. For both her and Warspite it is 1/350 WW2 fit, 1/700 WW1 fit. :(
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Great news for 1/350 Royal Navy and North Cape enthusiasts.......

From Trumpeter: HMS BELFAST!!

paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Now here's something that already has the modeling community hyperventilating, hypersalivating and hyperspeculating:

HMS ARK ROYAL - WW2 - 1/350 scale???

The website with the announcement (Boystown Military Miniatures) has not stated the manufacturer but says it should be a 2nd or 3rd quarter release.

http://www.boystownmilitaryminiatures.c ... 50737.aspx

They've had a flurry of queries, have shut down pre-orders for the kit and opened a special page to post information:

http://www.boystownmilitaryminiatures.c ... 98551.aspx

The only plastic WW2 Ark Royal kits to date have been the old Airfix 1/600 and Revell 1/720. Hope this "leak" turns out to be real!
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

US "Big Five" battleship fans...

1/700 Colorado class USS Maryland 1941 is now available in Japan from Pit Road. The Trumpeter boxing of the same kit will be out next month.

Here you can have a detailed look at the kit. So far the comments I've see have been generally good, except for the bulges which are a bit exaggerated. The photo-etch cage masts have some people a bit apprehensive - they could possibly be ruined if you're not extra careful in handling and rolling them into shape. They are such an essential part of the kit that if you mess them up.... :oops: :( :stubborn:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10213821

paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Here's one for Imperial German Navy fans....WW1 fans in general!

Flyhawk models (I believe best known for their photo etch and other after market accessories) and doing a 1/700 plastic DERFFLINGER!! :clap: :clap:

Scroll down the page almost to the bottom:

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/2165023499

No timeline though....wait and see....
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Well FINALLY....Trumpeter is rolling out the WW2 Queen Elizabeths in 1/700! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Warspite 1942! (Following on their 1/350)
(This was announced for Pitroad - but Trumpeter does the international release.)

AND

Barham 1941 (due in October)!! :dance:

Of course, these can be built as either full-hull or waterline.
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Here comes the Derfflinger!

Here's a look at the upcoming model from Flyhawk that has so many modelers salivating!

http://www.freetimehobbies.com/1-700-sm ... -pictures/

What a beauty!!
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

The Derfflinger has been released:

http://my.poco.cn/lastphoto_v2-htx-id-3 ... -p-0.xhtml

Looks great....well done for the first plastic kit from Flyhawk. :clap:

I for one plan to get one!

Flyhawk will also be releasing the Arethusa-class light cruiser HMS Aurora, though i think she will be in her fit as the Chinese Chung King.