Where can I purchase a model of the Hood?

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
PFOX

Where can I purchase a model of the Hood?

Post by PFOX »

I have a 350:1 scale of the Bismarck, but cannot find a 350:1 scale model of the Hood. Does anyone know where I could find one?
dgrubb64

model of hood

Post by dgrubb64 »

I have never seen a 1/350 scale model of the Hood for sale from any of the major manufacturers, but Heller do Hood, Bismarck and I am sure a King George V in 1/400.
José M. Rico
Administrator

1/350 Hoods

Post by José M. Rico »

Evert-Jan Foeth from the Netherlands wrote an excellent review on the Iron Shipwright and White Ensign Models 1/350 Hoods. Check the following link from the HMS Hood website:

http://www.hmshood.com/models/resin/ISWEM350.html
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

The best model is the Neptun HOOD that is fully assembled and the finest. Scale 1:1250. But at 1:350 there are two model kits that may or not be available right now. The are also compared at the Steel Navy site by Rob Mackie http://steelnavy.com/is.htm
Ulrich

Post by 1812 »

Id love a model like that. Unfortunately all I have is a small 1/600 Hood.
ontheslipway
Supporter

Post by ontheslipway »

If you read between the lines of my review at HMS Hood.com, you'll find that the Iron Shipwright kit is crap. I ordered it in 1999 and was so disappointed with the model I sent it back the following day. Bad workmanship, bad casting, bad manual, just plain bad. There was so much 'clean-up' to do you'd better start all over. You cannot trust Steelnavy with Iron Shipwright reviews, they are biased towards their sponsors and friends. To date I have not seen a single IS kit that looks half decent (If you disagree buy WEM, Combrig or Classic Warships and compare the quality and price).

The WEM kit is a lot better. Still, it's an early WEM, so the parts aren't as sharp as they are now, but at least the accuracy of the kit is very good. The etching is rather plain and for my 1/350 I choose not to use a single part of the WEM etching. The degaussing cable and doors are all in the wrong style (as they are for all RN sets by WEM), but I tend to be quite demanding. Still, with a bit of work you can turn the WEM kit in a very nice HMS Hood.

Both kits are sold out, and are sometimes sold for a huge amount of money on ebay. There are rumors that Trumpeter(!) will do a 1/350 Hood quite soon, or perhaps ICM, but I have not heard anything definitive. Just hope for the best!

Hellers Hood isn't that good BTW. There's also a Lindberg kit which is a disaster.