Bismarck vs. Hood

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
David DeBack

Bismarck vs. Hood

Post by David DeBack »

Hi:
I'm currently building Academy's 1/350 Bismarck. I intend to paint it as it engaged the Hood, as per the drawing's from this site. I just received White Ensign's Photo-etch of KM Anti-Aircraft fittings. Their instructions call for 3 2cm FLAK C38's, one of which is mounted on top of turret B. As I can't find anything on this site, is this correct? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
David
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

That is definitely not correct for Bismarck, and I'm wondering if it's Tirpitz.
ontheslipway
Supporter

Post by ontheslipway »

Yes, that is Bismarck. A 20mm gun may have temporarily been fitted to the B turret while in harbour, but briefly. I'm note sure this has been verified.
Antonio Bonomi

20 mm single on Bismarck

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

since I have been the one to resolve the whole matter time ago for Bismarck and Tirpitz A/A guns layout's evolutions ( with some good friends help of course :clap: ), ..... please tell me what you exactly are looking for.

Both Bismarck and Tirpitz had an initial fitting of guns, that evolved thru their lives.

Now you should first tell me which date you are looking for,.. and after what doubts you have.

Example : Bismarck April 1941, 20 mm single and vierlings ?? How many and were ??

So, just go ahead, .. I am here and I will tell you what you are looking for, precisely.

Just as a starter, what you are describing above is the presence of a 20 mm single Model C 38 gun Werhmacht mounting placed on top of A-Anton ( and NOT B-Bruno ) in Gotenhafen ( Gdynia ) on April 1941.

Common practice on many KM ships, .. Gneisenau, Adm Hipper, Adm Scheer,.. while in harbour,.. to reinforce A/A fire power.

Ciao Antonio :D
José M. Rico
Administrator

Re: Bismarck vs. Hood

Post by José M. Rico »

David DeBack wrote:I'm currently building Academy's 1/350 Bismarck. I intend to paint it as it engaged the Hood, as per the drawing's from this site. I just received White Ensign's Photo-etch of KM Anti-Aircraft fittings. Their instructions call for 3 2cm FLAK C38's, one of which is mounted on top of turret B. As I can't find anything on this site, is this correct?
IIRC, a single 2 cm gun was temporarily mounted on top of Turret A in March 1941 while Bismarck was at Kiel, but this was soon removed. In any case, at the time Bismarck engaged the Hood in the Denmark Strait there were NOT AA guns on top of the main turrets.

I hope it helps.
Antonio Bonomi

Bismarck A/A 20 mm layout on May 1941

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

just to be precise about 20 mm guns Bismarck configuration on May 1941.

2 by 20 mm model C 38 Flak Vierlings ( quadruple guns ) on top of the main tower platforms ( were previously 2 by 20 mm single KM standard model C 30 were located ).

10 by 20 mm single KM standard model C 30 on various positions on the ship.

2 by 20 mm single Werhmacht Model C 38 ( with a triangular base on top of 3 small cylinders ) located at the base after the aft position rangefinder).
One of those 2 guns was previously on top of A-Anton turret temporarly while on harbour.

You can refer my model of Bismarck on the model section for the exact 20 mm guns position.
Please consider that I have used for the model all available model 20 mm KM standard, but one will immediately realize were the 2 model C 38 were, .. as it was a position very few people knows about and almost nobody puts on model drawings or kits instructions.

But the original Bismarck photo shows they were really there; as demonstrated long time ago on various posts, ..... and they were surely model C 38 as said.

Ciao Antonio :D