Can anyone ID this "German destroyer" model??

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
paulcadogan

Can anyone ID this "German destroyer" model??

Post by paulcadogan »

Hi all,

Shipyard Models is releasing a resin kit they claim to be a 1934 Z-1 - Z-4 destroyer and the kit has been reviewed on Model Warships website. BUT the kit is clearly NOT what it claims to be, bearing absolutely no resemblance to ANY German WW2 destroyer that I know of.

Can anyone figure out what it really represents??

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... eview.html

Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
paulcadogan

Re: Can anyone ID this "German destroyer" model??

Post by paulcadogan »

Turns out it is a "never-was" model...seems a drawing was found in documents related to the Schichau shipyard of a destroyer that was never built and Shipyard Models decided to do a kit of it. The only evidence the design existed are the drawing and now the model.

The sample sent for review did not have that information. The MW reviewer has now amended his review which initially described the kit as Z1 - Z4.
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
Von Fricke

Re: Can anyone ID this "German destroyer" model??

Post by Von Fricke »

I was involved with the project to make 30 of these 1/700 kits but most of the credit should go to Detlef Hartwig who funded the project. Most of these have been sold as only Freetime Hobbies still has any (and theirs maybe gone as well. Detlef's family owned the Schichau shipyard. They submitted this design to the kriegsmarine (for what became the Z1-4) but lost out likely because they were openly against the Nazi etc. He is currently working on another never-was KM destroyer and a battleship design from WWI. If any of you out there are interested in obtaining one of these or other such ships please contact me at len.Fricke@gmail.com