Lützow light AA in late 1944, 1945

Talk about your projects, exchange ideas, tips, colors, etc.
Antonio Bonomi

Lutzow 1944

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Joao and all,

I am glad the material I have sent you has been useful, you are not annoying me, I am having lot of fun :clap: .

Good, if you make a website for your model let us have your infos so we can enjoy too :D .

Thanks for posting the photo I have sent you, that is very helpful :wink: .

You did a good job about enlarging the photo and showing the 20 mm single after the torpedo tubes: Bravo ! :clap:

Probably those 2 single 20 mm guns were the ones after taken to be mounted on the funnel platform most likely.
But they had also the 6 ones usually mounted forward,… 3 each side.

YES, you can be right about the searchlights reduction period, the radar is surely a good indication of works been done, but you know with those ships you are always surprised when new photos are found and new infos are available.

YES, you are right surely that platform was changed after Lutzow came back from Norway.

To realize if a photo of Lutzow on dark grey camo was a 1942 or a late 1943/44 photo the only clear indication is the presence or absence of the 20 mm vierling on top of A Anton main turret.

If the vierling is not there is surely a 1942 photo.
If the vierling is there is an after Norway period photo, so late 1943 or 1944.

Did you notice the rafts also on top of the 150 mm guns?

NO, I have not any detail of that funnel platform and 20 mm single installation, sorry.

Ciao Antonio :D
softsea

Post by softsea »

Ciao Antonio

I'm glad you're having a lot of fun, me too.

The Lützow certainly had lots of rafts, I'll probably scratch build one and then make a silicone mould and cast them all in polyurethane resin (I work in Rapid Prototyping with silicone moulds, so there’s always an opportunity to make some personal ones :lol: )

As for my model, here’s a list of changes that I plan to make to the Heller kit:

Main guns - replace the guns by brass ones (NNT Models - you get 9 for 20€), add the vierling on 'Anton' (WEM PE), add PE ladders and those small windows in the front (Tom's) and again add those two small 'humps' on the rear of each turret (see photo bellow, they appear to be asymmetric - the right one a little bit more to the center).

15cm guns - replace the forward part of the barrel with hypodermic needle, add the two forward windows, add the breech to the back of each barrel (so that the turret, when seen from behind, is not just a large hole) and maybe even adding the canvas on the back of each turret (all 8 are almost complete, need to paint the interior and glue the tops of the turrets to the bases)

10.5cm - replace the forward part of the barrel with hypodermic needle, add the forward vertical 'hump', add the breech to the back of each barrel and the entrance doors on each side (PE) - need only to glue the needles onto the rest of the turrets, it will probably be a tad difficult to align them OK but I'll try.

TTs - removed the back and the bottom of the TT covers and added the tubes made of steel tube (1.6 mm in diameter), wire and plastic sheet - one is done, only one to go.

Change the aft superstructure according to the plans in MM#7 pages 54 and 58, they seem consistent with the photo w/ the vierlings you sent me.

Change the funnel to reflect late 1944/45 - removed the 'hump' bellow the cap and remake the platform.
I also made the cap a lot thicker as to have the same shape as the funnel.
I cut it from the rest of the funnel, added bits of plastic on the outside, added putty and sanded it. Now I'll have to make a silicone mould, cast one or two, remove some material from the inside so as to make it thinner, drill the 3 large holes on the front and glue it back on the funnel.

I'll also remake the deck structures between the funnel and the fore superstructure (the catapult area), thou' I'm still waiting for the German Panzerschiffe book to see if I can have more solid data on how that area really was (MM could be wrong there, since I've seen at least 3 different plans for that area).
I already removed that area from the kit part, it now seems that at least one Tallboy was no near miss. :lol:
Sorry for the awful quality, it was taken with my webcam. :oops:
Antonio Bonomi

Lutzow on 1944

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Joao and all,

YES, I am sure you are having lot of fun like me :D.

Good that you can make some moulding of additional details, that is very good, I had to make them one by one on my Adm Scheer 2 years ago .... not having your possibility :D.

I see you are having a very good working plan for your model and I am looking really foward to see it here in.

It should be probably the best Lutzow model around at the end, very good and I am happy for you.

The list of your modifications is correct, if you need any detail of guns ( 40 mm Bofors ) or other parts just let me know.

I see if I can send you some more material tomorrow morning.

Have fun and talk to you soon, .........

softsea

Post by softsea »

Hi all

I'm looking forward for some more material. As for the Bofors and other light AA, all I really net to know is their number and location (the reason for this topic) as I will use WEM PE set (Kriegsmarine light AA - has all those guns with typical WEM quality - excellence)
Antonio Bonomi

Lutzow 1944

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Joao and all,

a lot of new photos and material is on the way to you :D .

Let me know what you need further more, so you can make a good Lutzow 1944 model.

softsea

Post by softsea »

Hi Antonio

Just got the material now. I haven't looked at it yet, 'cause I'm on my lunch break. I’ll try to see it later.

As for the model, I've glue the hypodermic needles to the base + barrels of all 8 15cm guns, they begin to look fearsome :lol:

Also, I've made the silicone mould for the funnel cap this morning, it will cure overnight; expect to have 1 or 2 casted parts by tomorrow evening.

Thanks again
João
softsea

Post by softsea »

Hi all

Although slowly, things are advancing on the Lützow...

Last night I glued the hypodermic needles on the 10.5cm guns, they are now ready to be painted :D .
I also have now 6 casted funnel tops (just to be safe... I can now wreck one or two).

Tonight I'll try to finish the torpedo tubes, paint the interior of all 8 15cm guns so I can assemble them tomorrow and try to begin the work on the big things - Anton & Bruno.

As for the site, since weekend is coming, I'll try to have a text-only account of the build up, plus some plans and photos (many of them sent by Antonio Bonomi, whose help has been enormous - many thanks to you) by late Saturday.
I'll post an announcement in this forum when the site is online...

Happy modelling
João Rodrigues
Antonio Bonomi

Lutzow 1944

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Joao and all,

thanks for the nice words :oops:

I love to help especially modelers,...... :wink:

Looking forward to see your works :clap:

Happy modeling .....