Own a part of the Tirpitz

Related items you have for sale or want to acquire. No commercial vendors please!
jonsidneyb

Own a part of the Tirpitz

Post by jonsidneyb »

I really don't like the idea of a piece of history becoming a product but many ships have been scrapped and this has already been done.

There is a product being made from parts of the Tirpitz. These products are not cheap. Expect a price of around $615.00.

I am a dealer for this company and when I saw they had something made from this ship it caught my eye and I thought of this forum.

The metal was removed by Norwegian divers.

If there i anyone interested in learning more let me know in this thread and I will post information on this product. I think I will beat anyones price on these.
RF

Re: Own a part of the Tirpitz

Post by RF »

As far as I am aware the Tirpitz is property of the German government. What title does this company have to the metal? Metal recovered by divers - is this legal?

I does sound to me rather like the scam that has been going around for years about buying a piece of the Moon. It is a scam because nobody owns the Moon, by international agreement no property rights pertain to the Moon.

If you don't own it you can't legally sell it.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
jonsidneyb

Post by jonsidneyb »

Actually the Norwegian Government allowed it. Divers collected the material. The company is the large German Cutlery Giant Boker.

The German government and the Norwegian Government are both well aware of this. I am not sure I approve of it but it has been done.

The product is a folded steel knives made from metal from the Tirpitz by Boker.

I can prove that I am very legitimate. I own the forum EDCForums.com

My shop is on the forum as is jsburlys I do not have the Tirpitz in stock but I am a Boker dealer. My forum members would not be interested in this particular knife. I would stock the item if there was interest. I have seen what retailers are charging and I know what my costs would be. I could undercut any prices I have seen on these but not willing to stock it unless I knew there was interest.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Well I certainly wouldn´t spend 600 bucks on a knife allegedly made of Tirpitz´s steel. I would use the money for more books about her!!!!
jonsidneyb

Post by jonsidneyb »

Actually I wouldn't either for myself. I am a bit confused by the hostile sounding reactions. I come out here and mainly read. I did not come out here or join in order to sell product. I was out here reading many times after these became available. My thought was the post would be ignored but thought there was an off chance that someone might want one. I was just not sure.

Sorry for creating the problem out here. I will withdraw the offer to make one available if someone wants one.
RF

Post by RF »

Recovering and selling artefacts from the wrecks of sunken ships will always be a sensitive issue, especially where lives were lost in the demise of the vessel.

Basically the objection is to making a profit or other personal gain from the deaths of those people. It is like robbing graves.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

What was done with the scrapped superstructure of the Arizona?
lwd

Post by lwd »

It is interesting the distinction that is being made here. Salvage operations are normal and only seam to be frowned on in the case of older and somewhat famous ships. There also seams to be a distinction between commercial use of the salvage and momentos. In this particular case one serious question is was the salvage sanctioned? If not the momentos become stolen property and stolen state property at that.
RF

Post by RF »

This is indeed a sensitive point - to me it seems to be a question of profiting at the expense of the dead. Even if the removal of items is sanctioned (and by whom?) it is still amatter of respecting what is a grave. To me that would apply to all ships, irrespective of fame or notoriety.
kabudz

Post by kabudz »

marcelo_malara wrote:Well I certainly wouldn´t spend 600 bucks on a knife allegedly made of Tirpitz´s steel. I would use the money for more books about her!!!!
you can find this in ebay actually

Post by RF »

Yes, and are there any buyers?
Donq

Post by Donq »

Hello. New to this Forum. I own a 80 MM exactly X approx 80 MM block of armored steel from the Tirpitz deck that surrounded turret Anton. It is the top armor deck designed to set off shells so that they would explode between it and the main armor deck below.I Have had this for about 15 years now. There was a website in Norway at the time that was offering them. It has complete documentation in Norwegian including metallurgical analysis. I believe that some legality prevented them from continuing to sell them as it was supposed to be a run of 300 pieces. I have # 3 of 300. But the website was taken down shortly after I received it. I believe it is very rare.
nautilus

Post by nautilus »

Reviving this thread ... I found recently a piece of armour (apparently) from battleship Tirpitz from a collector ... about 6 cm x 12 cm x 3 cm, it has all the markings of the museum in Tromso (dated 1994), and I heard (online, similar to Donq's post above) that parts were being sold by either a salvage company and/or the museum at some point in the 1990s ... but when I reached out to the museum in Tromso they claim they never sold any steel pieces. An image search online however does turn up a number of Tirpitz parts with a reference to the Tromso museum. Can anyone confirm where these parts may be coming from (individual divers?) and whether this "sale in the 1990s" (albeit perhaps controversial) actually happened? Pictures available if that helps. Thanks!