Maps or Charts

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
IronOutlaw

Maps or Charts

Post by IronOutlaw »

Can anyone point me in a direction where I might find plans of the layout of each of the KM bases at Wilhelmshaven and Kiel.

Ideally, I would like to find out where various facilities were located, ie., torpedo loading, victualling, fuelling, maintenance, etc., at both bases during the war.

Thanks, fingers are X'ed.
Brad Golding
Antonio Bonomi

Harbours

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Brad and all,

both Wilhelmshaven and Kiel had some changes after the war, Kiel been modified a lot more.

Here in you can see Scharnhorst from the top at Kiel.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image ... rst-21.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image ... rst-22.jpg

I do have home a very good book about Wilhelmshaven harbour, what are you really looking at, pure maps ? Werft ? Which period ? WW 2 ?

Ciao Antonio :D
IronOutlaw

Post by IronOutlaw »

Hi Antonio!

Many thanks fot those 2 links.

I am particularly interested in the facilities used by the U-boat arm. So a plan of the area with details about where boats were fuelled, where they loaded ammo and stores, etc.

I guess the maintenance facilities would depend on what work needed to be done.

In the end, I would like similar diagrams for all U-boat bases from Danzig to Bordeaux and beyond, with a guide to what facilities were available at each.

Take your point about changes at the various bases during the '39 - '45 period, but I'd be happy with whatever I can get.

Cheers mate

Brad
Australia
Brad Golding
Antonio Bonomi

Harbours

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Brad and all,

OK, now I understand a lot more, I will take a look of what I have, but unfortunately I am not an U-Boote expert, so never really studied anything about them, just superficial knowledge.

Ciao Antonio :D