What ship would you have visited?

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
Laurenz

the biggest

Post by Laurenz »

adventure-feeling would arise perhaps on a real-sailing ship with masts and so on.
On such a "Hilfskreuzer" you have to enter some old and dirty merchantships somewhere faraway which a flag you might have never seen before. This points out more life.
In the "stomach" of a big battleship everybody is a number, nothing really to see.
Kind regards,
L.
tone

Post by tone »

Gary wrote:Hi Iankw.

Sorry to disagree but I'd find HMS Lion much more historically intriguing than Iron Duke.
Queen Mary for me.

tone
RF

Re: the biggest

Post by RF »

Laurenz wrote:
On such a "Hilfskreuzer" you have to enter some old and dirty merchantships somewhere faraway which a flag you might have never seen before. This points out more life.

L.
The hilfskreuzer or any Q-ship has to have a familiar disguise to give the credibility such disguise is needed for.

A disguise which is unlikely or incredible is no disguise, so you don't use flags you have never seen before. The hilfskreuzer never for example flew the flags of China, Thailand, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Peru etc. because none of those countries had large merchant fleets. Even the Soviet disguises used on the northern breakouts into the Atlantic had to be circumspect.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Norwegian and Dutch flags were a common favourite of the HK's
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
RF

Post by RF »

And also Swedish flags, and prior to the Pear Harbor attack, Japanese flags.

There were very few disguises as American or British ships, and where they were used the results were often fatal. Even the Altmark was nearly caught out in a 1939 disguise as an American ship.

The experience with Kormoran showed that the Dutch or Norwegian disguise would work best, as you can then get away with your signaller not apparently being able to understand English very well....
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
_Derfflinger_
Supporter

Post by _Derfflinger_ »

Coyote's suggestion of USS Enterprise is a good one. Or USS Yorktown, or either USS Lexington or USS Saratoga. Plus, I'd add my favorite Brooklyn class CL - the USS St. Louis.

A close call on the KM ships .... but I'd probably request Scharnhorst, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Prinz Eugen, Admiral Hipper, Gneisenau in that order.

Derf