Prinz Eugen's Afterdeck

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
RF

Post by RF »

Are there any actual cases of a cruiser sized ship being so damaged?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
wadinga

Hermione could take it and dish it out.

Post by wadinga »

Bgile, RF etc,

During Operation Style (02/08/41), a high speed Gibraltar to Malta supply op with Arethusa, Manxman and destroyers, HMS Hermione rammed Italian sub Tembien at near full speed (latter was on the surface and apparently not paying attention). On arrival in Malta divers spotted a tear in her hull plating.

She proceeded back to Gib as planned, where a 14ft gash in hull plating, flooding below platform deck and minor damage to frames etc was repaired over 5 days.

Attacking without regard to consequences was the guiding principle in the RN at that time. The Nelson Touch, "Engage the Enemy More Closely :clap:

Unfortunately for Hermione, Axis subs got their own back a year later when U-205 sank her, (but nearly all the crew survived). The Didos were fine ships, built quickly with scarce resources, putting reasonable punch in a limited displacement. Phoebe survived two serious torpedoings and was put back together twice by our excellent American friends in Brooklyn Navy Yard.

All the Best
wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
Olaf

Re:

Post by Olaf »

tommy303 wrote:Hi all,

I retract the statement that it might be a minesweeper. After carefully looking over the photograph, it is probably as stated Prinz Eugen from which the photo was taken. The photographer was standing very near the stern at almost the centerline, looking to port and slightly forward. The confusing point was the two depth charges racks, one to port and one to starboard were not the same design and the one in the picture was the less photographed port one, which resembled the type used on minesweepers and destroyers.

my apologies to all.

thomas
Hi Thomas and all ~ Sorry for bringing this old one up again, but I stumbled over your statement regarding the design of the DC racks. Was the port one really different to the starboard one? Not that it is of great importance, as I covered them with canvas on my model, but do you know the possible reason for this and where the racks came from?

Happy modelling ~ Olaf!
Why the Navy? Well,.... I was young and short on money...
http://linerpara.de
tommy303

Re: Prinz Eugen's Afterdeck

Post by tommy303 »

If I recall, the port one is a single rack, ie it can drop one at a time, whereas its mate on the other side appears to be a twin rack arrangement. This of course might have changed over time, and in fact probably did. I am not certain as to who supplied the racks, assuming they were not built and installed by the shipyard.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.