DK Light Cruiser Emden

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
MJQ
Supporter

DK Light Cruiser Emden

Post by MJQ »

Does anyone know what colors made up Emden's 1944 two tone camouflage??

Martin
Antonio Bonomi

Emden camo

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Martin,

that is NOT a 1944 camo scheme for Emden, it is a 1942 one.

I am working currently on KM Light Cruisers camo schemes ( almost done :D ) and I can tell you that :

'' On early 1942 the Emden received a new camo scheme made of very dark grey RAL 7024 ( Dunkelgrau ) all over the ship, hull and upperworks.
Bow and Stern were shortened using a white RAL 9002 ( Deckfarbe weiss ).
This camouflage scheme was very similar to the one applied on Scharnhorst later on early 1943.
From June till November 1942 the Emden went into major rework at Kriegsmarinewerft Wilhelmshaven and was inactive. ''

On 1943 Emden was painted with a very beautiful camo ( unknown to the most so far :silenced: ) ... but maybe you will see it soon published on a book, ... just be patient,... :wink:

On 1944 Emden was very likely on a full light grey camo scheme RAL 7001 Hellgrau, like all the other major KM warships, as the wreck shows.

Ciao Antonio :D
MJQ
Supporter

Post by MJQ »

Antonio,

Wow, that is interesting. I have the HP 1/700 kit, which seems to represent the Emden in 1944 (has the radar platform). I've seen other sources say she was two tone in 1944 - Glad I asked!

As always, thanks.

Martin
Martin
Antonio Bonomi

Emden with radar antenna

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Martin and all,

the radar antenna was added on Emden during 1942 looking at the original photos.

Erwin Sieche on his famous German Radar article says it was added on late phase of the war and it was a FuMo25.

I can say to you now that the radar was added on Emden surely on 1942 while Emden was having that dark camo scheme painted on her as I have a photo clearly showing it and that camo is easily dated during 1942.

Probably the radar was added together with the degaussing cable on the hull works, as the photos I have seems to confirm.

So you can surely paint your model with at least 3 camo schemes :

- 1942 Dark grey with white bow and stern

- 1943 dazzle scheme camo

- 1944 and 1945 Light grey

Make your choiche and enjoy it ...... :wink:

Bye Antonio :D
MJQ
Supporter

Post by MJQ »

Antonio,

As always - thanks for your insight and willingness to share your depth of knowledge. It is appreciated.

I'll have to do some more research and then decide which way to portray Emden. The 2 tone scheme is quite striking.

Thanks,
Martin