German Motto???

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
Ramius

German Motto???

Post by Ramius »

Out of curiosity, how come the British battleship Prince of Wales' motto was "Ich Dien", or "I Serve", IN GERMAN??? :shock: :think: :shock: :lol: :think:
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

It would appear no one knows quite for certain, but at least one story goes back to the battle of Cressy in 1346. In that battle, Edward the Black Prince slew King John of Bohemia and added both the King's helmet plumes and motto, Ich Dien, to his own coat of arms.

Another versions tells of King Edward I making a promise to the people of Wales to provide a prince to rule them and who spoke no English. When his son Prince Edward was born, he presented the babe to the assembly stating in Welsh, Eich dyn (behold the man).

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Ramius

Post by Ramius »

I still don't buy the story where a BRITISH citizen proposes that a BRITISH battleship's motto be in GERMAN. Sounds a little fishy (or silly, or stupid) from my perspective. :think:
iankw

Post by iankw »

The motto actually goes with the title Prince of Wales, usually given to the heir to the throne ie Prince Charles. Also the three feathers go with the title, usually called the Prince of Wales feathers. So the motto and the crest go with the name. Where it originally comes from I'm not sure, but the Welch connection makes most sense to me.

regards
RF

Post by RF »

The Royal Family connection is significant here especially as they are largely of German descent, following on from the end of the Stuart line of monarchs at the death of Queen Anne and the accession of George I.
They retained the German surname Saxa-Coburg-Gotha until 1918, almost to the end of the First World War!!!!
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.