U-Boat Losses in World War II

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
RF

Re: U-Boat Losses in World War II

Post by RF »

Dave Saxton wrote:
Credit must go to the Royal Navy, for making it so tough on the U-boats. USN ASW was relatively poor in early 1942, until they learned their bussiness from their mentors.
I agree absolutely.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
19kilo

Post by 19kilo »

Does anyone know the max range of the Type XXI u-boat while submerged at max speed? About how long would the batteries last when it was going all ahead full?
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
I have to say that I think submarine crews on all sides were the bravest of the brave. On an aircraft or ship there is at least a small chance of getting out, but on a sub 300 feet below if youare hit badly then you are dead. I think the U boat crews in particular should be praised, especially towards the end of the war when it was almost certain death if they were caught by the long range aircraft charging their batteries in the Bay of Biscay.
There are time when one has to salut ones enemies.
RF

Post by RF »

Indeed, particulary as the manpower losses were eventually tallied at around 80%.

However perhaps mercifully that statistic wasn't known at the time. But the devotion to duty to the very end sharply contrasts with the mutinies of 1918.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
aurora

Post by aurora »

Estimates of total U-boats lost from all causes during the war vary between 777 and 821. There are similar variations in estimates of the number of their victims. So far as the Battle of the Atlantic proper is concerned, an accepted figure is 2603 merchant ships sunk with the loss of 30,000 Allied seamen. The toll exacted on Donitz's U-boat crews rated with those of Allied bomber crews as the highest in any branch of any armed services in World War II. Of a total of 40,900 men who served in U-boats, 28,000, or 70%, were lost, including a son of Grand Admiral Donitz.
NB. Bomber Command aircrew losses were 47000 KIA +8000 Killed in flying accidents.
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim