The Battle of Stromvaer

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

An interesting press photo I recently picked up at eBay ...

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0

and by interesting I´m not referring to the photo captured during shipyard trials in april 1938 but rather the message below.
“Gneisenau has given way, and we are to march at once to your chief.”
Nearchus

Re: The Battle of Stromvaer

Post by Nearchus »

Garzke & Dulin in their "Axis and Neutral Battleships in WW2" have RENOWN hitting GNEISENAU with two 15" shells - the one through the foremast and the second "damaged and silenced the after turret". What do German records have to say about this second shell?
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

All hits made on both sides during this action are accounted for earlier in this thread.
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Terje Langoy wrote:An interesting press photo I recently picked up at eBay ...

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0

and by interesting I´m not referring to the photo captured during shipyard trials in april 1938 but rather the message below.
That's what Hipper's captain heard too!

I think once the news flashed that Renown had caught up with "Scharnhorst" (or Gneisenau as the case may be), not knowing the circumstances, the immediate thought would be "their goose is cooked" since it also would be expected that Renown could match either of them in speed and outclass them in firepower.

Then there's the propaganda angle as well. How many times did the Germans "sink" the Ark Royal! Now the shoe is on the other foot! :think:
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

Some time ago I bid and won a photo of H.M.S. Repulse with a NY press note on the back quoting a German report which claimed the Repulse had been badly damaged Oct. 16. 1939 in action with Günther Prien´s boat.

I imagine there´s quite a lot of such bogus reports to be found.
linoula

Post by linoula »

Nickname for Renown! I'm not sure where she got it - maybe from her record setting voyage from the Indian Ocean back home in 1945 - showing she was still the fastest captial ship in the RN!