Bracketed -- Hazard a guess?

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
marty1

Bracketed -- Hazard a guess?

Post by marty1 »

Can anyone identify the ship behind the pillars of spray and smoke clouds?

pdfox99

Post by pdfox99 »

Looks like a British ship. They usually have vertical stacks. Not sure of the name yet.
Paul D. Fox
pdfox99

Post by pdfox99 »

Then again... It wouldn't be the Admiral Graff Spee would it?
Paul D. Fox
ontheslipway
Supporter

Post by ontheslipway »

Tripod masts and a straight stem, single port anchor, unequal funnels, looks like a WWI RN BC?
marty1

Post by marty1 »

Hi Paul:

I honestly don't know what ship it is. I was hoping someone with a keen eye for detail could give me a hint. My first guess was British as well -- its not a Queen Elizabeth Class battleship is it? Warspite or a sister ship?

Best Regards
marty
Tiornu
Supporter

Re: Bracketed -- Hazard a guess?

Post by Tiornu »

My guess is that it's HMS Centurion during her time as a target. She had two funnels, the first one wider than the second, and the "naked" sort of foremast that appears in this picture.
Let me qualify this by saying my ship recognition skills are minimal. I can tell the difference between Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Elizabeth...usually.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

I have to agree with Tiornu that this is HMS Centurion as a target ship
http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/c ... 0Centurion
Ulrich
marty1

Post by marty1 »

Tiornu wrote:My guess is that it's HMS Centurion during her time as a target. She had two funnels, the first one wider than the second, and the "naked" sort of foremast that appears in this picture.
Let me qualify this by saying my ship recognition skills are minimal. I can tell the difference between Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Elizabeth...usually.
I think your right. You win a cookie. Pretty good eye.

Thanks

Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

Wow. If I can guess one of these, who knows? Maybe the Mets can take the NL East.
Patrick McWilliams

Post by Patrick McWilliams »

Hi Marty,

I see that you have "reversed" a photo in support of your case...

Is this a (rare..) example of reversible photos that no one on this forum disagrees with?

!!

Patrick
Gerard Heimann
Supporter

Post by Gerard Heimann »

Good work, Tiornu! As miraculous as you think your work is here, it would pale next to the Mets winning the NL East. The next couple of weeks will tell. Coming from a forlorn LA Dodger fan.
marty1

Post by marty1 »

Gerard Heimann wrote:Good work, Tiornu! As miraculous as you think your work is here, it would pale next to the Mets winning the NL East. The next couple of weeks will tell. Coming from a forlorn LA Dodger fan.
Personally I'm a forlorn Mariners fan. I've been waiting for a couple years now for these guys to come back from a rebuilding team to contenders. I think we need Lou Pinella back. Besides, it was always fun watching him wrench first base out of the ground and pitch it across the field.
marty1

Huh?

Post by marty1 »

Patrick McWilliams wrote:Hi Marty,

I see that you have "reversed" a photo in support of your case...

Is this a (rare..) example of reversible photos that no one on this forum disagrees with?

!!

Patrick
Patrick -- Your right! When I was comparing position and geometry of the funnels and mast in the two photos I should have left the one Centurion image in an unreversed format. It makes much more sense now. Thanks for your help.

marty1

Paul is Bracketed

Post by marty1 »

Something else I just noticed. If you look at the Centurion image in negative, and turn it upside down, you can just make out what appears to be the image of Paul McCartney holding three puppies. Of course the three puppies obviously symbolize the other three Beatles. This is a clear sign that Paul treated the other three Beatles like dogs.

_Derfflinger_
Supporter

Post by _Derfflinger_ »

Can anyone tell me about target ships, like HMS Centurion? I know USS Utah served in the same capacity for the USN until she was sunk on December 7, 1941. How did they perform their role and survive?

What are these guys shooting at poor Centurion with? Practice rounds or real ammunition? (The shell splashes look significant!). Was there a crew aboard or was Centurion running under radio control?

VdT