Graf Spee. Kapitan Zur See Hans Langsdorff´s grave

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
mario schiavina

Graf Spee. Kapitan Zur See Hans Langsdorff´s grave

Post by mario schiavina »

Today I visited the grave of Captain Hans Langsdorff, the German cemetery in the city of Buenos Aires. His grave is simple, a wooden cross date of birth, date of death, rank, and mentioned he was the commander of the Graf Spee Panzerschiff Adm.
I suppose that the tomb should be guarded by the German embassy in Argentina.
The sensation I felt was admiration for his chivalry to fight and his sense of honor and very sorry for the loss of life resulting in a useless war.
I felt very peaceful when I leave the cemetery.
RF

Re: Graf Spee. Kapitan Zur See Hans Langsdorff´s grave

Post by RF »

I'm not sure whether the responsibility for the grave lies with the German government or with the Argentine authorities, whether civil or military.

In Britain we have the War Graves Commission, which is a civilian body that oversees military cemetries that contain not only the remains of Allied soldiers but also German and other enemy forces graves as well.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
tommy303

Re: Graf Spee. Kapitan Zur See Hans Langsdorff´s grave

Post by tommy303 »

I should imagine that it is the responsibility of the German War Graves commission, Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge, which is tasked with maintaining war graves both at home and abroad. In many cases, the VDK contracts with local authorities for graves outside of Europe. In Britain, for instance, German war graves are administered by the Commonwealth War graves Commission

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.