Armor of the Admiral Hipper class cruisers

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
Pr.Eugen

Re: Armor of the Admiral Hipper class cruisers

Post by Pr.Eugen »

Thorsten Wahl wrote:Unterlagen zur Bestimmung der Hauptkampfentfernung did not mention other belt thicknes then 80mm.
Hi, Thorsten and all...

I looked up "Unterlagen zur Bestimmung ..."
There is one question: could the German gunners did not take into account the small areas of armor with a thickness that is different from "standard"?
In "Unterlagen ..." combination of "belt + inclined protective deck" has a thickness of 80 +30 mm, but it is known that in the magazine of the turrets "Anton" and "Dora" had the inclined protective deck of 40 mm. That is a combination of ""belt + inclined protective deck" has a thickness of 80+40 mm.

However, "Unterlagen ..." this is not mentioned.
Thorsten Wahl

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

at the dreadnoughtproject site there are som drawings of Prinz Eugen

http://dreadnoughtproject.org/plans/KM_ ... ugen_1940/
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!
Pr.Eugen

Post by Pr.Eugen »

Thorsten Wahl wrote:at the dreadnoughtproject site there are som drawings of Prinz Eugen

http://dreadnoughtproject.org/plans/KM_ ... ugen_1940/
Yes, of course ... :cool:
But there is not those parts of the hull on which I have questions.
Thorsten Wahl

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

langsschnitt_100dpi.jpg contains the belt as outlined(dashed line) area.
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!
wadinga

Post by wadinga »

Prinz Eugen,

I get the impression you find this armour system as hard to comprehend as me. Referring to Whitley "German Cruisers of WWII"The neatly installed internal belt stops leaving Anton's handling rooms unprotected. An armoured bulkhead crosses the ship aft of Anton's handling room, and then a completely seperate belt extension mounted a couple of metres outboard of the belt and external to the hull plating protects Anton. Except for a nasty little shell trapping overlap (gap?) between the two belts where there is only 40mm plate of the transverse bulkhead. Across hull armoured bulkhead at the front of Anton's handling room completes the box protection. This plate also juts out beyond the bow strake of armour.

The whole thing looks like a bodge up. Yet a previous eagle eyed poster spotted that even Lutzow has this arrangement!

Interestingly, the ammunition room plan of Hipper in Whitley "German Cruisers of WWII" shows the "joggle" aft of Bruno's barbette, not Anton's. Also there are oil fuel tanks outboard of the handling rooms and no reason why the internal belt couldn't be continued forward for a smooth transition to the bow strake.

There is a lot more to be found out here. :shock:

All the Best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

wadinga wrote: The whole thing looks like a bodge up. Yet a previous eagle eyed poster spotted that even Lutzow has this arrangement!
click
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
wadinga

Post by wadinga »

Hi Marc,

I notice this is is annotated "Panzerkreuzer Deutchland" or should that be "Panzerschiffe"? :cool:

If it is I think all we are seeing here is the end of the belt. Our eagle-eyed poster spotted the patch on "Schwerekreuzer" Lutzow, later Petropavlovsk.

Are you coming round to the view that it is not armour?

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

wadinga wrote:Hi Marc,

I notice this is is annotated "Panzerkreuzer Deutchland" or should that be "Panzerschiffe"? :cool:

If it is I think all we are seeing here is the end of the belt. Our eagle-eyed poster spotted the patch on "Schwerekreuzer" Lutzow, later Petropavlovsk.
On Lützow is the same plate.

You're right, you can see the end of the belt. But where is the belt on the panzerschiffe? Inside or outside of the bulge?
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)