The First Battle of Narvik, 10 April 1940

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Re: The First Battle of Narvik, 10 April 1940

Post by Dave Saxton »

Thorsten Wahl wrote:equipping german destroyers with radar(Hohentwiel) began in autumn 1940.
That is correct except it was Seetakt (FuMO24) and not Hohentwiel. All German destroyers and T-boats were radar equipped by Jan 1941.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

Rick Rather wrote:Even if they had radar, the "clutter" from reflections off the surrounding terrain inside the fjord would have rendered them useless.
This is not correct for Seetakt. The Giessler papers make clear that Seetakt functioned perfectly inside fjords, close to land, and among islands. Even in 1940 the Seetakts sets on Bluecher and Luetzow funtioned perfectly within Oslow Fjord. Late model Seetakt sets were tested extensively within the fjords by Schanhorst in late 1943.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
Natter

Post by Natter »

aurora wrote: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:57 amThank you gentlemen-vis a vis Uboats-despite my searches in books/internet; I realise that I must have missed the points you raised.Really must research the German "great torpedo failure"
I recommend looking up these thesises, which are very good sources describing the german "Torpedokrise" which lasted to 1942, due to four different technical issues with the G7a(TI) and G7e(TII) torpedoes - essentially due to the lack of quality-control in the Torpedoversuchsanstalt:
* "Wolves Without Teeth: The German Torpedo Crisis in World War Two" (David Habersham Wright, 2010)
* "Rüstung und Rüstungserprobung in der deutschen Marinegeschichte unter besonderer Berücksichtigung der Torpedoversuchsanstalt (TVA)" (Oliver Krauss, 2006: Also published as a book in 2010: "Wehrtechnik und wissenschaftliche Waffenkunde, band 17: Rüstung und Rüstungserprobung in der deutschen Marinegeschichte - Die Torpedoversuchsanstalt (TVA)").