O'Brian : HMS Surprise

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
miro777

O'Brian : HMS Surprise

Post by miro777 »

hey

i hope u all know the great naval series by Patrick O'Brian...

think about this...
in a battle between the USS Constitution and the HMS Surprise
who would have won?

(note: the Surprise had the crew, with which they chased after the Spartan)

adios

miro
Die See ruft....
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

That would have been considered a very unfair fight.

The HMS Surprise was only a 28, was designed for combined broadsides of 272 lbs. Then she was refitted to the unlikely combined broadsides of 924 lbs. which probably slowed her down a fair amount. She was only 126 ft and 578 tons. Capt. Aubrey had to have his usual good luck.

The USS Constitiution was a large, well-built fast frigate of 44 guns and had combined broadsides of 1308 lbs. She is 204 ft. and 2,200 t. She could sail 13+ knots!

Some of my photos of the USS Constitution http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/ ... tion/1.jpg {substitute the jpg number from 1-22 to see all the photos}
Ulrich
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Constitution as Ulrich correctly stated was a heavy frigade, bearing 30 long 24 lbs guns and 42 lbs carronades, of very though construction, fast keel and major sail surface too...;) may be with the bow weakness given by the continous decks, but still...

But if you read O'Brian "The Fortune of war"...the duel between HMS Java and USS Constitution is well described inside, and even the charachteristic of the US frigades of that period as well.;)
"Wir kämpfen bis zur letzten Granate."

Günther Lütjens