Seeking info on German/Croatian Merchant Steamship Sansego

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
Marto

Seeking info on German/Croatian Merchant Steamship Sansego

Post by Marto »

Hi all, I've come here on behalf of an older friend who doesn't use computers at all. His father was the captain of a German/Croatian Merchant ship called the Sansego which was sunk in August 1944.

My friend has asked me to see what I could find out about this ship but after trawling the net I have found nothing more than a few mere random mentions and mostly just info about an island of the same name. My older friend hasn't really given me much to go on and there is a language barrier involved too.

The following are all the snippets I've uncovered before striking a wall.
  • Dzik (submarine) made some attacks in september 1943 in corsica on champagne, nikolaus and kraft. Origin of 15 steamers used by Germans to evacuate Corsica: Sansego - italian steamer.

SS Kostrena (1947) / Kormat (1962), ex-Croatia (built 1891), Jadranska Linijska Plovidba, Rijeka, Yugoslavia: April 1941 seized at Split by the Italian occupation forces. Renamed Sansego, the Italian name for the isle of Susak (no š in this name!).

Austrian Gunboats 1866: In addition to his ironclads, Admiral Tegetthoff had a squadron of wooden gunboats. Does anyone have any pictures of them they would share ? The names of the ones I know of : SMS Sansego (obviously this is a red herring but nonetheless, interesting to note)
So I am seeking advice about how I could progress with regards to improving the google results and if somebody here has actually heard of this ship then any info would be greatly appreciated.
tommy303

Re: Seeking info on German/Croatian Merchant Steamship Sanse

Post by tommy303 »

Dzik (submarine) made some attacks in september 1943 in corsica on champagne, nikolaus and kraft. Origin of 15 steamers used by Germans to evacuate Corsica: Sansego - italian steamer.

SS Kostrena (1947) / Kormat (1962), ex-Croatia (built 1891), Jadranska Linijska Plovidba, Rijeka, Yugoslavia: April 1941 seized at Split by the Italian occupation forces. Renamed Sansego, the Italian name for the isle of Susak (no š in this name!).
i suspect these are the same ship actually. The ex-Croatia of 1891 was built at Kiel, Germany and was in Italian service as the Sansego from 1941-1943. In 1943 the ship was commandeered by the Germans and was sunk in 1944 in Mali Losin. After the war she was raised and returned to Yugoslavia where she was renamed Kostrena. The name was changed to Kormat in 1961 as a new vessel was supposed to be named Kostrena and one could not have two vessels with the same name on the Yugoslav registry. She served for two or three more years under the new name before being retired. She was sold for scrap in 1964 and broken up at Sveta Kaja.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Marto

Post by Marto »

Thank you tommy303 for taking the time out to reply to my thread and for your clarification regarding the different namings of this ship and I now know more than I did yesterday.

Do you think it would be possible to find out more about my old friends father who I think was the captain at the time of sinking? My friends fathers name was Silvio Viskovic, likely from Trieste but I cannot find any reference at all other than what I found at one of the links I hinted at in my first post:
The above was taken from here:

http://fleetfilerotterdam.nl/kost47_txt_eng.htm
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

Sorry, but I am afraid I haven't anything at all on your friend's father.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.