Doctrine on crew accomidations

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
dude6935

Doctrine on crew accomidations

Post by dude6935 »

Isn't there a naval doctrine circa WWI which states that the fleet whose ships have the best crew accommodations is most likely to win an engagement?

I can't remember where I saw this stated. Is anyone familiar with it?
lynn1212

Re: Doctrine on crew accomidations

Post by lynn1212 »

not sure of any formal doctrine but better accommodations do indicate in some ways the ships ability. with the crew in better shape they will be more able to withstand the rigors of combat, they will be able to spent longer periods at sea which only improves their function as a crew, moral should be higher [ not always consider the U boat crews}. i would expect the ship to be somewhat larger and more stable and seaworthy. size buys you several advantages - damage control is improved as is resistance to damage [ the same shell does less damage to the larger ship all else being equal]. also i would expect better medical faculties, perhaps longer range and endurance. of course there are big ships with lousy quarters and small ones with good quarters but in general big is better. even with ships of equal size i would suspect that the ship with the crew in better shape will have an advantage