U-Boots -------> US Subs???

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
RF

Re: U-Boots -------> US Subs???

Post by RF »

iankw wrote:This is stretching my memory a bit but, from what I remember, the theory is that a hydrogen peroxide explosion and fire caused the explosion of one, or more, torpedoes.......seismic readings from some place in Scotland (I think), saw two similar events on a seismometer chart, separated by a certain time (can't remember how long). This lead to the theory that there were two explosions, a smaller one followed by a larger, catastrophic one. From this the idea of the peroxide explosion came about.
This certainly makes sense and I think is the most likely scenario. Unfortunately none of the crew could be rescued in time to testify, even though expecting survivors from the forward torpedo room would be streching it.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
iankw

Post by iankw »

Again from memory - the Russian command came under pressure, rightly so IMO, for the loss of survivors, as a result of politics taking precedence over humanity. Offers of help from several countries was declined until it was too late, because of loss of political face.

regards

Ian
RF

Post by RF »

And possibly also over fears of espionage under cover of rescue assistance.
iankw

Post by iankw »

Indeed so.

Ian
RF

Post by RF »

Looking back at the press reports yesterday I see it was specifically mentioned that the Russian senior admirals advised against accepting Western help on the grounds that the sub would be closely examined in such a rescue operation, possibly even being ''stolen''.