Force Z

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
alecsandros

Re: Force Z

Post by alecsandros »

aurora wrote:I did use the sources that you used, but came up with different numbers-use an average of of the altitudes.
... You should use the numbers for normally loaded fighters. The example above is overload fighter for F4F3.
KevinD

Post by KevinD »

Given the Brewsters woeful reputation with the Allies, how does one explain its - dare I say - rather exemplary performance record in the hands of the Finns circa the same time frame then? If it was such a bad aircraft, then it could only have been their - the Finns - 'sisu'! (For those not familiar with the Finnish language, best I can translate that word is "spunk or grit", mixed of course with a double helping of 'iron balls'.) :whistle:
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

alecsandros wrote:
aurora wrote:I did use the sources that you used, but came up with different numbers-use an average of of the altitudes.
... You should use the numbers for normally loaded fighters. The example above is overload fighter for F4F3.
Here's the "official" numbers for both aircraft:

http://www.alternatewars.com/SAC/F2A-3_ ... r_1942.pdf

http://www.alternatewars.com/SAC/F4F-3_ ... t_1942.pdf

as you can see "officially" the F2A-3 outclimbed and out ran (under ~15k ft) the F4F-3.

The reality is that neither aircraft could match these numbers.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

KevinD wrote:Given the Brewsters woeful reputation with the Allies, how does one explain its - dare I say - rather exemplary performance record in the hands of the Finns circa the same time frame then? If it was such a bad aircraft, then it could only have been their - the Finns - 'sisu'! (For those not familiar with the Finnish language, best I can translate that word is "spunk or grit", mixed of course with a double helping of 'iron balls'.) :whistle:
How do you spell O-V-E-R C-L-A-I-M-I-N-G?

Honestly, I haven't look at Finnish claims but exaggeration seems par for the course for most AFs.
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

dunmunro wrote:
KevinD wrote:Given the Brewsters woeful reputation with the Allies, how does one explain its - dare I say - rather exemplary performance record in the hands of the Finns circa the same time frame then? If it was such a bad aircraft, then it could only have been their - the Finns - 'sisu'! (For those not familiar with the Finnish language, best I can translate that word is "spunk or grit", mixed of course with a double helping of 'iron balls'.) :whistle:
How do you spell O-V-E-R C-L-A-I-M-I-N-G?

Honestly, I haven't look at Finnish claims but exaggeration seems par for the course for most AFs.
The Finns were not fighting Zeros.
KevinD

Post by KevinD »

dunmunro wrote:How do you spell O-V-E-R C-L-A-I-M-I-N-G? Honestly, I haven't look at Finnish claims but exaggeration seems par for the course for most AFs.
You spell it like this - "Facts don't cease to exist just because they are ignored" or maybe even "The highest form of ignorance is when someone rejects something they (seem to) know nothing about".

Enough said.
KevinD

Post by KevinD »

Steve Crandell wrote:The Finns were not fighting Zeros.
No, but the were fighting against overwhelming odds! And still kicked the Russkies arse (in Brewsters) for quite some time.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

dunmunro wrote:
alecsandros wrote:
Here's the "official" numbers for both aircraft:

http://www.alternatewars.com/SAC/F2A-3_ ... r_1942.pdf

http://www.alternatewars.com/SAC/F4F-3_ ... t_1942.pdf

as you can see "officially" the F2A-3 outclimbed and out ran (under ~15k ft) the F4F-3.

The reality is that neither aircraft could match these numbers.
True,
Still the Wildcat had a large advantage in ceiling, and performance at combat altitudes (tipically > 14000 ft)
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

KevinD wrote:
dunmunro wrote:How do you spell O-V-E-R C-L-A-I-M-I-N-G? Honestly, I haven't look at Finnish claims but exaggeration seems par for the course for most AFs.
You spell it like this - "Facts don't cease to exist just because they are ignored" or maybe even "The highest form of ignorance is when someone rejects something they (seem to) know nothing about".

Enough said.
According to Wikipedia, the Finns claimed a 26 to 1 kill ratio for their 296 mph Buffalos, which is better than that claimed for the 109 or 190...so yes, colour me skeptical.