Story about my father's service on a sub in WWII

From the Washington Naval Treaty to the end of the Second World War.
jctobin10

Story about my father's service on a sub in WWII

Post by jctobin10 »

I just posted a story on my blog about my father's service on the sub USS Stingray in WWII. It's not a formal history article but does relate some incidents from his service and has some images from his scrapbook about the war.

I hope you enjoy it!

http://jctobin10.wordpress.com/2013/12/23/present/

John
paulcadogan

Re: Story about my father's service on a sub in WWII

Post by paulcadogan »

Hi John,

Many thanks for sharing this great tribute to your father and the USS Stingray...that was a truly wonderful thing you did all those years ago!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Paul
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
jctobin10

Post by jctobin10 »

paulcadogan wrote:Hi John,

Many thanks for sharing this great tribute to your father and the USS Stingray...that was a truly wonderful thing you did all those years ago!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Paul
Thanks, Paul, glad you enjoyed it. It was a nice way to remember my dad and the service of so many others.

Merry Christmas!
Mostlyharmless

Post by Mostlyharmless »

Thank you John for your posting on USS Stingray.

As reported, Stingray picked up four Japanese prisoners from a cruiser, which had been torpedoed by another submarine. The cruiser's name was Natori, which had been sunk by USS Hardhead. If you have any vouchers or book tokens left over after Christmas, you might like to get “Encounter at Sea and a Heroic Lifeboat Journey” by Ichiro Matsunaga, Gordon J. Van Wylen and Kan Sugahara. This describes the encounter and the voyage of the other survivors after Natori's sinking. Matsunaga's original Japanese text was called “The Senior Officer” as a tribute to Lt. Kobayashi Eiichi, who commanded the lifeboats.